ADA/PD pay

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
davidr1534

ADA/PD pay

Postby davidr1534 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:44 am

I have been looking into ADA/PD jobs, and the general starting salary, on the NE coast at least, seems to be $40-$50k. However does anybody know the career progression in these sort of government pi jobs. Assuming reasonable performance what sort of salary might you be making in 5 or 10 years? Can anybody point my way to decent general resources on these careers (or just a good thread if I have missed it)?

wreckem

Re: ADA/PD pay

Postby wreckem » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:22 am

It heavily depends on the office.

In certain areas of Texas you can work your way up to a lead felony prosecutor in 6 years. In others parts(smaller counties)it takes a lot longer and/or jumping to a different office to move up.

Some info regarding ADA pay in a large Texas county. Attorney V pay starts out at around $79k/year and requires a minimum of 10 years experiance. Attorney IV is around $70k, unsure of what the amount of time I think its 6 years. Attorney III starting pay is around $62k and requires atleast 3 years of experiance. Attorney I pay for the same county starts at $54k. The 1st Assistant and Divison Chiefs make over $100k.

As with most govt work you only move up when their are vacancies above you. So again career progression depends heavily on the office.

davidr1534

Postby davidr1534 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks for the info wreckem. Another question: do they/all govt positions only accept US citizens? I am a permanent resident, but could go through the whole citizenship process if necessary.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:45 pm

davidr1534 wrote:Thanks for the info wreckem. Another question: do they/all govt positions only accept US citizens? I am a permanent resident, but could go through the whole citizenship process if necessary.

why wouldnt you? they can still technically kick you out for things like failing to change your address. besides it is going to be hard to work for any government office without citizenship.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:48 pm

Probably so they don't have to pay taxes.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:48 pm

lostjake wrote:Probably so they don't have to pay taxes.

yeah b/c everyone knows permanent residents don't pay taxes :roll:

davidr1534

Postby davidr1534 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:57 pm

Just the federal and NY City taxes for this permanent resident (plus social security of course.) There are several reasons why I have yet to take citizenship, one of which is that I have only been here 18 months so am still settling in, another being that I understand there may be some issues with renouncing former citizenship (and an EU passport has some advantages.)

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:01 pm

davidr1534 wrote:Just the federal and NY City taxes for this permanent resident (plus social security of course.) There are several reasons why I have yet to take citizenship, one of which is that I have only been here 18 months so am still settling in, another being that I understand there may be some issues with renouncing former citizenship (and an EU passport has some advantages.)

I don't think they will ask you to renounce your citizenship. Technically it is illegal to possess dual citizenship but this kind of thing is almost never enforced. For the typical immigrant, I would say don't worry about it, just carry dual citizenship. But since you are entering a profession that requires higher levels of compliance with the law (especially when going for gov't positions), I think you might be wise to avoid citizenship.

Just be careful and keep all of your documents up to date and in order. Don't do any unauthorized entries/exits from the country (eg - noncheckpoint crossing into Canada, etc....always get your passport stamped).

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:03 pm

i dont think dual citizenship is illegal in america

wreckem

Postby wreckem » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 pm

HyeMart wrote:i dont think dual citizenship is illegal in america

It is not, but it pretty much excludes you from any job that needs federal security clearance. There shouldn't be issues with permanent residents working for most state/local government agencies. A cursory glance of open ada/state govt jobs in Texas just requires documents proving your legal right to work in the US. However, you might be at starting at a disadvantage vs US citizens applying to the same jobs.
Last edited by wreckem on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wreckem

Postby wreckem » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:11 pm

swheat wrote:
davidr1534 wrote:Just the federal and NY City taxes for this permanent resident (plus social security of course.) There are several reasons why I have yet to take citizenship, one of which is that I have only been here 18 months so am still settling in, another being that I understand there may be some issues with renouncing former citizenship (and an EU passport has some advantages.)

I don't think they will ask you to renounce your citizenship. Technically it is illegal to possess dual citizenship but this kind of thing is almost never enforced. For the typical immigrant, I would say don't worry about it, just carry dual citizenship. But since you are entering a profession that requires higher levels of compliance with the law (especially when going for gov't positions), I think you might be wise to avoid citizenship.

Just be careful and keep all of your documents up to date and in order. Don't do any unauthorized entries/exits from the country (eg - noncheckpoint crossing into Canada, etc....always get your passport stamped).

It is not illegal to have dual citizenship. The US Supreme Court has even ruled on the issue. It is just not prefered, and isn't suggested by the US State Department.

Return to “Financial Aid”