How many times should/can I request more $

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
nick637

How many times should/can I request more $

Postby nick637 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:18 pm

TLS,

I am currently in the middle of negotiating merit aid between two T2 schools. School A is ranked about ten spots higher than school B.

I used school b's offer to gain more scholly at school a and now am using school a's new offer to get more scholly at school b.

My question is: how many times can I go back to school a and ask for more money? To the point of refusal? Or is there a measure of decency that I'm missing here? My thinking is that as long as I keep receiving better offers from school b, I will continue to bug school a for more. Is this ok/advisable?

Any input would be greatly appreciated and thanks!

FunkyJD

Re: How many times should/can I request more $

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:27 pm

If it's down to just those two schools, and both schools are T2 schools, keep negotiating until a) both offers are roughly equal in terms of cost of attendance; or b) either school declines to negotiate further.

So if school A offers you, say, $20,000, and school B offers you full tuition, go back to school A and tell them that you need full tuition.

nick637

Re: How many times should/can I request more $

Postby nick637 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:29 pm

FunkyJD wrote:If it's down to just those two schools, and both schools are T2 schools, keep negotiating until a) both offers are roughly equal in terms of cost of attendance; or b) either school declines to negotiate further.

So if school A offers you, say, $20,000, and school B offers you full tuition, go back to school A and tell them that you need full tuition.

Gotcha. Will do and thanks for the response

Return to “Financial Aid”