"Full Ride" Scholarships

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
brooke940

"Full Ride" Scholarships

Postby brooke940 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:16 am

I am looking at going into a public service position after law school that places little to no emphasis on the rank of the school attended and looks mainly at gpa/class rank. Therefore I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of schools (preferrably in a warm climate) that offer scholarships of full tuition+living stipend+books. I'm not sure if the proverbial "full ride" exists for law school, but I went that route for undergrad with the National Merit program and in this economy and planning on a public service career it would be really nice to do it again :) I am coming in with a 3.3 GPA, 171 LSAT with CPA license and 2 years Big Four Accounting experience. I also have excellent references, extensive community service involvement and was the first person in my family to go to college(not sure that matters but there were some undergrad scholarships for that demographic) Honestly the amount of the scholarship and weather climate are more important to me than rank or reputation of school, so as long as it is ABA accredited I don't mind if it's a T-3 or T-4. Thanks!

--also I am planning on applying in November 2010 to hopefully start in Fall 2011
Last edited by brooke940 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Re: "Full Ride" Scholarships

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:19 am

I think Cardozo has a pretty generous tuition+stipend scholarship, but it's in NY.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:24 am

As everything is relative, New York City might be a warm climate if you are from Alaska or from an emotionless family.
P.S. Consider the University of Alabama School of Law.

brooke940

Postby brooke940 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:29 am

Haha good point on the warm climate being relative, however hailing from Dallas I would probably not characterize NY as meeting that criteria. Thanks for the suggestion though! Also, I will definitely be looking into Alabama, just couldn't find much definitive information on their scholarship program, especially for non-residents.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:30 am

brooke940 wrote:I am looking at going into a public service position after law school that places little to no emphasis on the rank of the school attended and looks mainly at gpa/class rank. Therefore I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of schools (preferrably in a warm climate) that offer scholarships of full tuition+living stipend+books. I'm not sure if the proverbial "full ride" exists for law school, but I went that route for undergrad with the National Merit program and in this economy and planning on a public service career it would be really nice to do it again :) I am coming in with a 3.3 GPA, 171 LSAT with CPA license and 2 years Big Four Accounting experience. I also have excellent references, extensive community service involvement and was the first person in my family to go to college(not sure that matters but their were some undergrad scholarships for that demographic) Honestly the amount of the scholarship and weather climate are more important to me than rank or reputation of school, so as long as it is ABA accredited I don't mind if it's a T-3 or T-4. Thanks!

--also I am planning on applying in November 2010 to hopefully start in Fall 2011

I think you'll be a strong applicant. Don't set your sights on T3/T4, you can do much better than that with your stats and work experience. Good luck.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:34 am

The University of Alabama is quite generous to non-residents for both undergraduate & law school merit money.

OneSixtySix

Postby OneSixtySix » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:43 am

Some schools (BU offhand) have very generous public interest scholarships. You have great numbers and solid softs - dont write off the T1 just yet. If you can convince an admissions committee of your sincerity to go into public interest - you may have some excellent options.

Additionally, have you considered looking into LRAP programs? Many schools will subsidize loans based on income for students in PI.

Finally, incase you have not yet come across this resource ---> http://schools.lawschoolnumbers.com/schools?rank. The information is all user submitted and forms a highly unrepresentative sample, but it can give you an idea of who got $$$ and where.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:44 am

It seems awkward, but call schools up (tell them your stats... again, awkward) and ask for a fee waiver. You'll get a lot of fee waivers even without asking.

Apply everywhere that waives your fee (and any other places that strike your fancy) and pick your favorite full ride. Alabama will give you a full ride, but again, you will have to negotiate off the "top 1/3rd to keep" stipulation.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:58 am

So many people looking to go into PI think about cost and debt in the wrong way. If you are set on a PI career, you will be eligible for loan forgiveness IBR under the CCRAA. That being the case, it is your interest to go to the best school possible, regardless of cost, because what you pay back will depend on what you earn rather than how much you borrow. The idea is to open the most doors possible and that happens by going to schools with better reputations that generally cost more. The whole point of the CCRAA is to allow top talent the ability to pursue PI careers instead of being chained to their debt.

Granted, you claim that you're going into a career that doesn't take ranking into consideration. What is this career? You're telling me that in this field, if there are two applicants with identical GPAs and rank, one from NYU and the other from Northeastern, the NYU applicant won't be given any advantage? Even if that were true, you're making a decision to forgo top schools and therefore close yourself off to potential career opportunities. You never know where you'll want to go later in life. What if you get to law school and fall in love with some other PI field (one that would absolutely prefer a NYU grad to a Northeastern grad)? Furthermore, you're making this decision without proper financial consideration. Taking out huge amounts of loans is not a bad situation to be in if you do get into PI. In fact because of the CCRAA it's a pretty good situation (assuming you don't want to be making tons of money).

But to answer your question, it would be worth considering EDing at George Washington.

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/apply ... early.aspx

Return to “Financial Aid”