University of Denver at sticker Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

DU at sticker

Poll ended at Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:43 pm

A good investment, you will be able to pay debt after comfortably
No votes
Are you crazy? Stay in your nice job and re-take the LSAT
100%
Do it, you will be fine with Obama's IBR program
No votes

Total votes: 10

monicaggon

New

University of Denver at sticker

Post by monicaggon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I was accepted into DU for fall, (and some T4s with some money but I withdrew from those) and, if I do not get into my hometown law school of UNM (with a resident tuition of 12K per year), my only other option for law school this fall would be Denver.

I would graduate from DU with 180k worth of student loan debt if I go.

This scares me.

I am considering not going to law school in the fall if I do not get into UNM. I have a decent job right now that has room for advancement. But I really want to go to law school.

Can any give their input on whether DU is worth sticker or not? I would greatly appreciate it.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Re: University of Denver at sticker

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Stay at your job and retake, law school isn't going anywhere and I would bet getting into UNM would probably only take a few more LSAT points.

monicaggon

New

Post by monicaggon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:33 am

Thanks for the input. I think I always knew the answer but the more people that confirm that the better I feel, lol. :)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:31 am

Full sticker price for the Univ. of Denver School of Law is not recommended for one needing to finance $180,000 through student loans.
When do you expect to hear from the Univ. of New Mexico School of Law ?
Do you want to practice in New Mexico or in Colorado? If New Mexico, then reapply next year to UNM if unsuccessful this year.
Are you willing to share your LSAT score?

monicaggon

New

Post by monicaggon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:33 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Full sticker price for the Univ. of Denver School of Law is not recommended for one needing to finance $180,000 through student loans.
When do you expect to hear from the Univ. of New Mexico School of Law ?
Do you want to practice in New Mexico or in Colorado? If New Mexico, then reapply next year to UNM if unsuccessful this year.
Are you willing to share your LSAT score?
I hope to hear from UNM by the end of this month.

I would not minding practicing in Colorado or New Mexico. My family is in New Mexico but my husband is from Denver, and his family is there.

My LSAT was 155. I studied for about 5 hours over a month time frame. I think with diligent studying I can get into the 160s. Add a prep course and maybe I can get a much better score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:39 pm

You have to realistically expect a salary in the 45-60k range at this point. Sucks, but that's how bad the economy is. If the economy improves or you perform exceedingly well in your classes, that's great. But it's not something you can count on.

Point is, you should only consider Denver a very narrow option -- only go there if you are going to do public interest and use LRAP to pay off your loans.

monicaggon

New

Post by monicaggon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:42 pm

swheat wrote:You have to realistically expect a salary in the 45-60k range at this point. Sucks, but that's how bad the economy is. If the economy improves or you perform exceedingly well in your classes, that's great. But it's not something you can count on.

Point is, you should only consider Denver a very narrow option -- only go there if you are going to do public interest and use LRAP to pay off your loans.
Yeah, and considering the fact that I make 35k now with a 3% annual increase, in a desk job that is relatively easy, Denver is not looking too good. I think I will withdraw next week...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”