Need-Based Aid Qualifications

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
dhatfie1

Need-Based Aid Qualifications

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:40 pm

So I have around $2500 in savings and around $47,000 in UG loan debt. My parents conjunctively make around 60k a year and will provide almost zero financial assistance for me in law school. Anybody think this could potentially qualify me for need-based grants (at say a school ranked in the top 30)? Thanks!

steven3579

Re: Need-Based Aid Qualifications

Postby steven3579 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:47 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:So I have around $2500 in savings and around $47,000 in UG loan debt. My parents conjunctively make around 60k a year and will provide almost zero financial assistance for me in law school. Anybody think this could potentially qualify me for need-based grants (at say a school ranked in the top 30)? Thanks!

Depends on the institutions endowment. From my understanding, the federal government doesn't provide any need based aid in the form of grants. So if you do qualify, they will come from the school itself. I would inquire about any merit based aid as well.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:49 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:So I have around $2500 in savings and around $47,000 in UG loan debt. My parents conjunctively make around 60k a year and will provide almost zero financial assistance for me in law school. Anybody think this could potentially qualify me for need-based grants (at say a school ranked in the top 30)? Thanks!

What about me? I have less than $2000 saving and around 25k in UG loan debt. My parents conjunctively make around 15k a year. Oh yeah, and I am attending OSU btw.

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:51 pm

baboon309 wrote:

What about me? I have less than $2000 saving and around 25k in UG loan debt. My parents conjunctively make around 15k a year. Oh yeah, and I am attending OSU btw.

Oddly enough, tOSU is the same school I am going to..put 'er there classmate lol

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

steven3579 wrote:

Depends on the institutions endowment. From my understanding, the federal government doesn't provide any need based aid in the form of grants. So if you do qualify, they will come from the school itself. I would inquire about any merit based aid as well.

Well I've already received a 11k merit-based scholly (thank goodness), and I would hope that OSU has a relatively large endowment, considering Michael Moritz's ridiculous $31 million gift to the school. I'm just curious because whether I receive extra aid or not will play a very important role in where I choose to live in Columbus!

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:56 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:
steven3579 wrote:

Well I've already received a 11k merit-based scholly (thank goodness), and I would hope that OSU has a relatively large endowment, considering Michael Moritz's ridiculous $31 million gift to the school. I'm just curious because whether I receive extra aid or not will play a very important role in where I choose to live in Columbus!

But they only give out a few thousand dollars for need based aid though. I got my studio apt in South Campus Gateway already. I guess that I am just gonna borrow as much as i can since there is IBR, I am not so worry about debt

steven3579

Postby steven3579 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:01 pm

My guess is that a majority of that endowment is used for merit based aid, less for need based.

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:04 pm

True! Just thought I'd ask, thanks y'all. I'm pretty confident I'll end up at the Gateway apartments as well, you just can't beat the locale!

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:06 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:True! Just thought I'd ask, thanks y'all. I'm pretty confident I'll end up at the Gateway apartments as well, you just can't beat the locale!

If it's still anything like it was when I left there in 2008, I would advise you to stick to the main streets, and not venture very far into neighborhoods...

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Z3RO wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:True! Just thought I'd ask, thanks y'all. I'm pretty confident I'll end up at the Gateway apartments as well, you just can't beat the locale!

If it's still anything like it was when I left there in 2008, I would advise you to stick to the main streets, and not venture very far into neighborhoods...

Why?

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:10 pm

baboon309 wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

Why?

Good question..please elaborate.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:17 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

Why?

Good question..please elaborate.

Most of the neighborhoods East of High Street and south of Chittenden are less than savory. You'll get a feel for where you can and can't be at night. There are some pretty shady areas not too far from High Street. I remember a guy got shot to death in the Gateway parking lot not long after it opened to the public. You're safe west of High, but the east side is where the economically depressed area butts up against the university. North of Chittenden there are tons of Undergrads living in houses, so you're safe there, but don't go further east than 4th street.

You've been warned ;)

Anyway, Ohio State is a great place, and you're gonna have an awesome time. Just be careful.

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Z3RO wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

Why?

Most of the neighborhoods East of High Street and south of Chittenden are less than savory. You'll get a feel for where you can and can't be at night. There are some pretty shady areas not too far from High Street. I remember a guy got shot to death in the Gateway parking lot not long after it opened to the public. You're safe west of High, but the east side is where the economically depressed area butts up against the university. North of Chittenden there are tons of Undergrads living in houses, so you're safe there, but don't go further east than 4th street.

You've been warned ;)

Anyway, Ohio State is a great place, and you're gonna have an awesome time. Just be careful.

Awesome man, thanks for the info, I was a little concerned about that, didn't know if I'd be needing a "gat" or not lol

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Haha, my friends all had guns (for fun), but they didn't conceal/carry. You might be surprised at the number of beggars that are actually ON High street at first (that's the closest they're allowed to be to the University without getting their asses kicked by Columbus cops), but they're harmless.

Return to “Financial Aid”