NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
Bodega
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:02 pm

NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby Bodega » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:32 pm

Has this already happened? Has anyone heard? I have offers from other schools and I'd like to let NYU know, but I want to wait until they have officially made/not made an offer to me.

User avatar
Billy Blanks
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby Billy Blanks » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:35 pm

NYU has distributed a number of Dean's Scholarships (search the NYU forums and you'll find lots of admits freaking out about an April 2nd deadline that just passed for accepting the scholarship/admissions offer). Since the deadline has passed, my intuition tells me that NYU will engage in another round of merit scholarships for admits who were accepted recently. However, I have no data to back that up, so take that as the pure speculation it is.

Good luck.

User avatar
WrappedUpInBooks
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:19 am

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:37 pm

Merit aid went out, and the deadline to accept the awards was last friday (but many people got extentions). I'm assuming there's going to be another round soon... you may want to check in with the financial aid office though. When did you get your Financial Aid application in?

User avatar
Bodega
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby Bodega » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Hmm. I was accepted in November/December, and I submitted the financial aid application in February.

Would it be appropriate to contact the financial aid office? How would I do this? I guess I anticipated getting 25k or something and then I was going to send in my other offer after that. But since I haven't heard anything at all...

Thanks for any input

User avatar
Bodega
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby Bodega » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:53 pm

Just spoke with finaid office

They said that award letters are going out this week by email, and that I should be in the pool that hears.

They also said that if I have any other offers I should let the office know immediately.

HTH

Posters above may have been referring to named scholarships (RTK, etc)

User avatar
Billy Blanks
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby Billy Blanks » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Bodega wrote:Just spoke with finaid office

They said that award letters are going out this week by email, and that I should be in the pool that hears.

They also said that if I have any other offers I should let the office know immediately.

HTH

Posters above may have been referring to named scholarships (RTK, etc)

Nope. The Dean's Scholarship is their name for merit aid. see here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=98892&start=800 for discussion on an extension to the April 2nd deadline (which was certainly not for named scholarships).

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:01 pm

The Financial Aid office said to let you know if you have any other offers? Meaning?

User avatar
Bodega
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby Bodega » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:14 pm

Billy Blanks wrote:
Bodega wrote:Just spoke with finaid office

They said that award letters are going out this week by email, and that I should be in the pool that hears.

They also said that if I have any other offers I should let the office know immediately.

HTH

Posters above may have been referring to named scholarships (RTK, etc)

Nope. The Dean's Scholarship is their name for merit aid. see here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=98892&start=800 for discussion on an extension to the April 2nd deadline (which was certainly not for named scholarships).


Thanks for the link. I guess you're right, and they have a second round coming out. I wonder why I wasn't in the first batch if I was accepted early on.

They said to send them an email with the name of the school and the offer. Ex: UofChicago: 75k.

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Awesome. Thanks.

jasonportwood
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby jasonportwood » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:54 am

I just called the financial aid office since I have several scholarship deadlines approaching next week, and I was told that my file was still "pending" and they couldn't provide an update on timing, but I could call back later in the week. Also, they expressed no interest in any further information on other scholarships. FML.

jasonportwood
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby jasonportwood » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:23 pm

by the way, does anyone who has received an award from nyu know the cost of attendance/estimated student expense budget for the 10-11 year? I know it's $70,050 for 09-10 but hoping to get the updated figure, since some schools seem to be increasing costs drastically these days...

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Just got my award...very pleased to have received a $25k total merit aid award offer, especially since I didn't get the original Dean's scholarship e-mail and figured that meant I was stuck paying sticker. I guess telling them about my (larger) scholarship from UVA was worth something.

The award notification is a little confusing, though. The annual student contribution they computed based on my assets exceeds my total assets if I'm expected to pay that much for all 3 years out of pocket. I can afford to pay that much out of pocket the first year but not all 3. I know I can borrow the student contribution part, but I am concerned about how this will affect my eligibility for LRAP.

Also, it says I got $20,500 in Stafford loans, but doesn't say whether or not I qualified for the subsidized Stafford. How do I find out?

It says that I have to accept or decline by 4/19, but unlike Georgetown, it doesn't seem to say that I have to withdraw from everywhere else. So does that mean I don't have to withdraw my application from schools I have yet to hear back from? My chances of getting into Yale are probably 1 in 100 at best, but after all the work I put into that application, I hate to withdraw it without even getting an answer.

Anyone know anything about any of this?

muahawhawhaw
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:23 am

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby muahawhawhaw » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:14 pm

I don't think you have to withdraw. In an e-mail an NYU finaid rep told me that in depositing I would have to withdraw from all schools I was accepted to, but did not mention anything about pending or waitlisted options. Also, NYU has its own waitlist, and I doubt they're draconian enough to force admits into depositing then withdrawing from waitlists when they themselves select students who deposit at other schools but stay on their waitlist.

But call them. They can give you a straight answer.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby scribelaw » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:19 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Just got my award...very pleased to have received a $25k total merit aid award offer, especially since I didn't get the original Dean's scholarship e-mail and figured that meant I was stuck paying sticker. I guess telling them about my (larger) scholarship from UVA was worth something.

The award notification is a little confusing, though. The annual student contribution they computed based on my assets exceeds my total assets if I'm expected to pay that much for all 3 years out of pocket. I can afford to pay that much out of pocket the first year but not all 3. I know I can borrow the student contribution part, but I am concerned about how this will affect my eligibility for LRAP.

Also, it says I got $20,500 in Stafford loans, but doesn't say whether or not I qualified for the subsidized Stafford. How do I find out?

It says that I have to accept or decline by 4/19, but unlike Georgetown, it doesn't seem to say that I have to withdraw from everywhere else. So does that mean I don't have to withdraw my application from schools I have yet to hear back from? My chances of getting into Yale are probably 1 in 100 at best, but after all the work I put into that application, I hate to withdraw it without even getting an answer.

Anyone know anything about any of this?


I know about the LRAP. If you borrow the assumed student contribution, that borrowing total is not covered under LRAP. I also think NYU has one of the highest assumed student contributions among law schools. They take parental assets into account no matter what, even if you're 35 years old, and don't protect retirement accounts (except for the penalty you pay to liquidate it).

So say you have a $10,000 assumed contribution per year. If you borrow that, the LRAP wouldn't cover that $30,000 in GradPlus loans -- which would equal about $360 a month in payments not covered. Could make a big difference, on a PI salary.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:03 pm

scribelaw wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Just got my award...very pleased to have received a $25k total merit aid award offer, especially since I didn't get the original Dean's scholarship e-mail and figured that meant I was stuck paying sticker. I guess telling them about my (larger) scholarship from UVA was worth something.

The award notification is a little confusing, though. The annual student contribution they computed based on my assets exceeds my total assets if I'm expected to pay that much for all 3 years out of pocket. I can afford to pay that much out of pocket the first year but not all 3. I know I can borrow the student contribution part, but I am concerned about how this will affect my eligibility for LRAP.

Also, it says I got $20,500 in Stafford loans, but doesn't say whether or not I qualified for the subsidized Stafford. How do I find out?

It says that I have to accept or decline by 4/19, but unlike Georgetown, it doesn't seem to say that I have to withdraw from everywhere else. So does that mean I don't have to withdraw my application from schools I have yet to hear back from? My chances of getting into Yale are probably 1 in 100 at best, but after all the work I put into that application, I hate to withdraw it without even getting an answer.

Anyone know anything about any of this?


I know about the LRAP. If you borrow the assumed student contribution, that borrowing total is not covered under LRAP. I also think NYU has one of the highest assumed student contributions among law schools. They take parental assets into account no matter what, even if you're 35 years old, and don't protect retirement accounts (except for the penalty you pay to liquidate it).

So say you have a $10,000 assumed contribution per year. If you borrow that, the LRAP wouldn't cover that $30,000 in GradPlus loans -- which would equal about $360 a month in payments not covered. Could make a big difference, on a PI salary.


How can they take my parents' assets into account when I didn't report them? I chose the merit-only option. The student contribution is based solely on my own income and assets, and it exceeds the amount of assets I actually have.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby scribelaw » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:53 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Just got my award...very pleased to have received a $25k total merit aid award offer, especially since I didn't get the original Dean's scholarship e-mail and figured that meant I was stuck paying sticker. I guess telling them about my (larger) scholarship from UVA was worth something.

The award notification is a little confusing, though. The annual student contribution they computed based on my assets exceeds my total assets if I'm expected to pay that much for all 3 years out of pocket. I can afford to pay that much out of pocket the first year but not all 3. I know I can borrow the student contribution part, but I am concerned about how this will affect my eligibility for LRAP.

Also, it says I got $20,500 in Stafford loans, but doesn't say whether or not I qualified for the subsidized Stafford. How do I find out?

It says that I have to accept or decline by 4/19, but unlike Georgetown, it doesn't seem to say that I have to withdraw from everywhere else. So does that mean I don't have to withdraw my application from schools I have yet to hear back from? My chances of getting into Yale are probably 1 in 100 at best, but after all the work I put into that application, I hate to withdraw it without even getting an answer.

Anyone know anything about any of this?


I know about the LRAP. If you borrow the assumed student contribution, that borrowing total is not covered under LRAP. I also think NYU has one of the highest assumed student contributions among law schools. They take parental assets into account no matter what, even if you're 35 years old, and don't protect retirement accounts (except for the penalty you pay to liquidate it).

So say you have a $10,000 assumed contribution per year. If you borrow that, the LRAP wouldn't cover that $30,000 in GradPlus loans -- which would equal about $360 a month in payments not covered. Could make a big difference, on a PI salary.


How can they take my parents' assets into account when I didn't report them? I chose the merit-only option. The student contribution is based solely on my own income and assets, and it exceeds the amount of assets I actually have.


If you chose merit only, you're not even eligible for the LRAP, from what I understand.

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby ravens20 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:08 pm

scribelaw wrote:
If you chose merit only, you're not even eligible for the LRAP, from what I understand.


Wait what? Where did you hear this?

notaname
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby notaname » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:48 pm

Wait what? Where did you hear this?


They said it explicitly at the ASW, and it was in the fine print on the Financial Aid web portal. If you filled out merit only and plan to use the LRAP, call Financial Aid tomorrow. No joke.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:37 am

notaname wrote:
Wait what? Where did you hear this?


They said it explicitly at the ASW, and it was in the fine print on the Financial Aid web portal. If you filled out merit only and plan to use the LRAP, call Financial Aid tomorrow. No joke.


That's not what the website said. The website said if I wanted to use LRAP, I needed to select either need-based or merit-only with asset disclosure. I selected the latter option.

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby ravens20 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:11 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
notaname wrote:
Wait what? Where did you hear this?


They said it explicitly at the ASW, and it was in the fine print on the Financial Aid web portal. If you filled out merit only and plan to use the LRAP, call Financial Aid tomorrow. No joke.


That's not what the website said. The website said if I wanted to use LRAP, I needed to select either need-based or merit-only with asset disclosure. I selected the latter option.


Can someone link me to this fine print you all are speaking about? I never saw it and for whatever reason didn't catch this at ASW either.

User avatar
Sakura3210
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 am

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby Sakura3210 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:59 am

Hey, quick (possibly stupid) question - are there grade requirements attached to the dean's scholarships? I can't recall ever seeing anything about it (even in the award letter) :oops: ; as far as I'm aware, the only way it changes is if you earn a lot of money is a summer interenship. Is this right?

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby neimanmarxist » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:24 am

Sakura3210 wrote:Hey, quick (possibly stupid) question - are there grade requirements attached to the dean's scholarships? I can't recall ever seeing anything about it (even in the award letter) :oops: ; as far as I'm aware, the only way it changes is if you earn a lot of money is a summer interenship. Is this right?


I didn't see any requirements on there and i read it pretty carefully.

User avatar
Sakura3210
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 am

Re: NYU merit aid (Not named schollys)

Postby Sakura3210 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:33 am

neimanmarxist wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:Hey, quick (possibly stupid) question - are there grade requirements attached to the dean's scholarships? I can't recall ever seeing anything about it (even in the award letter) :oops: ; as far as I'm aware, the only way it changes is if you earn a lot of money is a summer interenship. Is this right?


I didn't see any requirements on there and i read it pretty carefully.


Sweet, thank you! :D




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests