Deferring Admission

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
crackinthekraken

Deferring Admission

Postby crackinthekraken » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:30 pm

Does anyone have any experience or know anything about deferring admission to law schools? I was accepted to a few places, but I was also offered a full-time job, and I'd like to work for a few years to raise some capital before I embark on my legal adventure.

luckyjd

Re: Deferring Admission

Postby luckyjd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:32 pm

crackinthekraken wrote:Does anyone have any experience or know anything about deferring admission to law schools? I was accepted to a few places, but I was also offered a full-time job, and I'd like to work for a few years to raise some capital before I embark on my legal adventure.

What are you asking about in particular? I'm also considering doing that. Almost all schools allow you to defer for one year. "Few years" might be more difficult.

crackinthekraken

Postby crackinthekraken » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:12 pm

What would be the best channel to inquire about deferring admission? Which office should I call/email? Is there any way I can hold onto my scholarship offers?

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Policies really do depend on the School. Columbia is really lax about 1-2 year deferrals, whereas with Berkeley it is more difficult to do so. IT should be listed on the schools website how to go about asking for one. If not, email the dean of admissions directly to inquire about the requirements. Usually you just have to agree to withdraw apps from all other schools and not apply to any during the deferred period.

It may be tough though to hold onto your scholarships however as schools have no incentive to pay you if you are unequivocally agreeing to go to their school.

Return to “Financial Aid”