Car Loan before Law School?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Car Loan before Law School?

Postby OrcinusOrcas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:52 pm

Hey guys/gals.

The Situation:
I'll be going to USD this fall and saving a bunch of money by living with family. One issue: I need a new vehicle. I'll be doing a 25 minute commute by freeway every day. I currently have a truck that is 2 breaths away from dying; my significant other is a mechanic, so I'm sure on this. We can keep it running for a few more months, but the transmission is on its way out and would cost more to repair than the truck is worth. You get the picture---it's a dinosaur.

So I'm looking at getting a "Hey, it works and should last about 3 more years!" vehicle. Nothing fancy or special. Bare minimum, I'll need $2-6k in loan money to get a car before this summer. I have good credit, so that's not an issue.

The Question:
Should I wait until after I sign my law school loans to try and get a car loan, or get a car loan beforehand? Does it make a difference to lenders? I've never purchased a vehicle, so I'm unfamiliar with how generous these lenders are for vehicle loans. Will I be violating any rules by using some of my law school cost-of-living loan reimbursement to make monthly payments on a vehicle loan?
Sorry if this is naive/dumb, but I'm wondering if anyone has done something similar and has some insight.

Re: Car Loan before Law School?

Postby twopoodles » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:13 pm

The rules specify that loan money cannot be used to buy a car. As for making payments, I've simply been told the budget is not designed to cover car loans.

As for which to do first, getting a car loan is a lot harder than a student loan. Even if you think both will be easy, I would do the car first, before the student loan throws off your debt to income ratio horribly. Besides, if you wait until after you get the student loan, I would think you'd be testing the vagueness of the rules more than if you had it before.

Postby wreckem » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:56 am

Get the loan now. And while technically car payments/maintainence do not fall under the personal expenses/transportation allocations the likelyhood of an audit is next to none or zero if you work a little bit at all during the year.

Postby reverendt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:11 am

Get the car now unless you have really good, established credit.

Re: Car Loan before lawl skool?

Postby zeth006 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:08 am

Car loan now. I'm no expert on the matter, but I would think if you get the car under your name and/or cosign it with your parents, it'll make you look less like a wealthy person and more eligible for aid.

Off topic: Got any empty rooms in your house for a freeloader? :lol:

Return to “Financial Aid”