Family contributions?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Great Satchmo

Family contributions?

Postby Great Satchmo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:16 pm

So I just got a financial aid offer from a school, and it had a expected family contribution.

I am not a dependent and I have somewhat little debt (few thousand in UG debt, and a few thousand for a car loan).

Does this still mean that I won't be able to get government loans to cover this amount as it is expected that I, or my family, contribute this from savings? (it's in the area of $12k or so, which I, not my family, have).

Is this where private loans come in?

I know I need to read into this more, but I figured I'd start here.

Re: Family contributions?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:36 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:So I just got a financial aid offer from a school, and it had a expected family contribution.

I am not a dependent and I have somewhat little debt (few thousand in UG debt, and a few thousand for a car loan).

Does this still mean that I won't be able to get government loans to cover this amount as it is expected that I, or my family, contribute this from savings? (it's in the area of $12k or so, which I, not my family, have).

Is this where private loans come in?

I know I need to read into this more, but I figured I'd start here.

You can use GradPlus loans to cover the family contribution or pay it yourself. Very few law students actually get a contribution.

Return to “Financial Aid”