Sending another school's offer before initial offer made

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
frankjones
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Sending another school's offer before initial offer made

Postby frankjones » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:28 pm

I need to come to a decision on whether or not I'll be taking a scholarship by April 15th. However, a few schools have yet to offer their initial financial aid packages. Given the time constraints, I'm inclined to send these schools the first school's scholarship before they make their decision on financial aid. Does this seem like a bad idea to anyone? Should I wait until after they make their initial offers?

mdurigan
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Sending another school's offer before initial offer made

Postby mdurigan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm in the same boat, and would love some advice. Also, is calling better than sending a letter so late in the game?

User avatar
laurathenerd
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:48 am

Re: Sending another school's offer before initial offer made

Postby laurathenerd » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:46 pm

I did it last year - I had a scholarship offer from Duke but hadn't received anything from UVA yet (they hadn't sent out any offers) so I emailed them with a copy of my scholarship information (I was out of the country so letters would have taken forever). I just said that I thought they would like to know, and they thanked me for sending it. I was kind of on the bubble of getting anything, and so I think that the offer I got was partly because I told them what was going on with Duke. Or maybe not. Who knows. But it certainly can't hurt you as long as you're respectful and not stupid - like, I didn't try and use my full scholarship to W&M to leverage with UVA.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest