Asking for Scholarships

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ejed09

Asking for Scholarships

Postby ejed09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi all,

I've narrowed my choice down to two schools: Uconn and Wake.

Although I didn't get a scholarship from either, I would be able to attend UCONN for 18K (instate tuition). I'd prefer to go to Wake however, so i was wondering if it would make any sense to send a letter asking if they would consider giving me a scholarship (not necessary for the amount of the difference; but any amount would be helpful :lol: ). Do most law schools consider such requests? FYI my numbers were 3.35, 165 (not sure if that helps, or gives me any leverage since my gpa was on the low side...)

Thanks!

EJJ

beesknees

Re: Asking for Scholarships

Postby beesknees » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:37 pm

It doesn't hurt to ask. However, I would just email because its way faster. But I would first send a more general email inquiring about merit aid - something to the effect of: I'm really happy to be accepted to Wake. Its definitely my top choice, yada yada. But I am not (or unlikely to be) qualified for need-based aid and am interested in talking to someone about merit aid.

That way, if the school doesn't negotiate at all, they can tell you flat out. Otherwise, they'll send you something vague/ask about other offers you have and then you can let them know about the cost difference of your other choices.

There is aslo a detailed thread somewhere that talks about negotiating merit aid that spells out the process better.

The worst they can say is no.

ejed09

Re: Asking for Scholarships

Postby ejed09 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:08 pm

I think thats exactly what i will do. Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Financial Aid”