Full Ride @ TTTT/TTT or go with TT or T1 Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
charlesjd

Bronze

Full Ride @ TTTT/TTT or go with TT or T1

Post by charlesjd » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:26 pm

I have a full ride at a T4 and a T3, I have 15k @ Seton Hall which probably needs to be double that for me to go there, and some acceptances at Tier 1 schools in the region I want to practice. I have family connections in business and law.

Should I just go for the full ride (top 1/3 of class stipulation) or for the tier 1 and take some debt. I'm in Illinois so I'm screwed with regards to in-state tuition unless I go to NIU or SIU TTTTTTTTTTTTTTT which I'd rather go to business or medical school in that case.

I am leaning towards going to a one of the tier 1 schools in the midwest.

Anyone?

blsingindisguise

Silver

Re: Full Ride @ TTTT/TTT or go with TT or T1

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:28 pm

I don't know man, by the time you get down into the 3rd/4th tiers you really start to limit your job options unless you're literally one of the top few students in your class. Might not even be worth a full ride.

roadkilllaw

New

Post by roadkilllaw » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:29 pm

need to be a bit more specific if you want useful advice

Gwen

Bronze

Post by Gwen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:29 pm

T1

/thread

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:30 pm

What are the prices of the T1 schools you are considering? If any of them are public, in state is probably cheaper than 15k off Seton Hall. Congrats on your choices, it looks like you didn't focus on one range schools (i.e. T4, T3, T2, you get the point :) ).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:31 pm

A full ride with a top 1/3 stipulation is not a full ride. It's a free first year (minus COL) with a chance of a free second year. Just to give you an idea, scholarships that I received at t30-t20 schools (not full rides) either had no stipulations or required a GPA in the 2.5 range. I would consider a full ride with such a high requirement as nothing more than a 1/3 tuition scholarship (your first year being roughly 1/3 of your total tuition).

erniesto

Bronze

Post by erniesto » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:26 am

Any T30 or T20 acceptances? What are the bar passage rates for your full scholarship schools? A full ride to a TTT isn't necessarily bad. Especially with only a top 1/3 stipulation. Your competition won't be as intense as at a T1, which has many people with higher proven academic ability. Look at this way: If you can't make top 1/3 at a third tier, what would you have ranked at in a 30-50 ranked school? At that point your job prospects are likely just as damning, except that you have no tuition debt coming out of your first year at the TTT and can easily leave law behind and pursue your other options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”