Repaying Loans with Loans??

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
choppa5

Repaying Loans with Loans??

Postby choppa5 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:28 pm

I will need my full loan amount (tuition + living expenses) for 1L, however I anticipate only needing to borrow to cover tuition during 2L and 3L. This is because I have virtually no living expenses (live with parents, car paid off, etc. and have a part time job that will take care of any spending money I need), but I plan to use the extra 1L money to pay off high interest c/c debt.

My question is... has anyone done the math to figure out if using loan money from 2L to pay down 1L debt and 3L loan to pay down 2L debt makes sense. The idea being that at the end you will have the biggest amount of debt at least 2 years younger than other debt and therefore avoid some interest costs??

Does this make sense??

steven3579

Re: Repaying Loans with Loans??

Postby steven3579 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:36 pm

No, it doesn't make any sense. Two things: 1) There are fees associated with borrowing. So whenever you take out loans, you automatically get dinged with a 3 or 4 percent origination fee. 2) Other than $8500 in subsidized loans, all other loans start accumulating interest immediately. So paying off old loans with new loans will actually cost you more money. However, paying off high interest credit card debt with a fixed interest government loan is a great idea.

Return to “Financial Aid”