Can I leverage UVA's offer at NYU or Columbia?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
democrattotheend

Can I leverage UVA's offer at NYU or Columbia?

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:38 pm

I just got home from UVA's ASW yesterday to find a $75,000 scholarship waiting for me. I was obviously thrilled, but part of me still wants to go to NYU or Columbia. Obviously, those are better-ranked schools in a more desirable location, so I can't expect them to match it, but do you think I might be able to use it to get something from either school? If I were to say to NYU that they are my top choice (which they are, at least in terms of where I would rather spend 3 years) but that UVA offered me a generous scholarship and I am having a hard time justifying the huge difference in cost of attendance, do you think that might get me anywhere? What about at Columbia?

If so, how would I go about doing this? Should I wait for my financial aid award and then appeal it, or should I do it now? I applied for merit aid at NYU and have not heard back, but since I didn't get the initial Dean's Scholarship e-mail I am not optimistic.

dakatz

Re: Can I leverage UVA's offer at NYU or Columbia?

Postby dakatz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Doubt it will make a difference, but can't hurt to try. For example, someone on here got a great scholarship from Cornell, and asked Chicago to consider it, and they didn't even give it a look. Virginia is more of a peer to Cornell than CCN, and NYU and Columbia are probably even more reluctant than Chicago, due to their even higher ranking. But it can never hurt. Worst that can happen is they say no.

mcdad

Postby mcdad » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Probably not for enough to make it seem like you're not paying a lot to go to NYU or Columbia. UVA is offering to pay you not to go to the New York schools. These schools will not pay as much for you not to not go to New York.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:15 pm

mcdad wrote:Probably not for enough to make it seem like you're not paying a lot to go to NYU or Columbia. UVA is offering to pay you not to go to the New York schools. These schools will not pay as much for you not to not go to New York.

Like I said, I don't expect them to match the offer. But if they gave me $10,000 per year, that would help me to justify picking one of them over UVA. I know it's not a lot in the scheme of things, but I read somewhere that for every $10,000 you borrow, expect to be paying back about $125 for 10 years after law school. $375 a month could be the difference between a decent apartment and a crappy place in a bad location.

Both NY schools have much more generous LRAP programs, although I think it's smart to prioritize money offered up front over money that may or may not be there by the time I graduate.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:23 pm

You might get money from NYU/Chicago just based on your numbers.

FWIW, I might (hope to!) be in the same spot as you. Not sure what I'm going to do, either. If it comes down to MVP or ND @$120,000 or CCN @$200,000, I think there are merits to either choice depending on your career goals. Elite BigLaw or elite PI/clerkship, go to CCN. If you'd be happy with a good firm job, take the money and you'll have a much better financial situation after you graduate.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:24 pm

I don't see why this could hurt. NYU at least is throwing out scholarships like they're candy. $75k is a lot at UVA, and UVA is (despite what earlier poster said) more of a peer to NYU than Cornell.

Bodega

Postby Bodega » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:32 am

Does anybody know when we are supposed to hear about merit aid offers from NYU?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:16 pm

dbt wrote:I don't see why this could hurt. NYU at least is throwing out scholarships like they're candy. $75k is a lot at UVA, and UVA is (despite what earlier poster said) more of a peer to NYU than Cornell.

What makes you say NYU is throwing out scholarships like candy? I heard they had a reputation for being stingy.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:06 pm

Well this year at least I've seen a lot of these Dean's Scholarships letters. I don't recall that being the case last year or in years past.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Update for anyone who is curious: I e-mailed NYU and told them that I really want to go there but am concerned about the cost, and I told them about UVA's offer. I just got an e-mail today that I got a $25k total Dean's scholarship. Obviously not as much as UVA offered, but it looks like UVA's offer was good for something.

Still a tough decision...if they had offered $15k per year it would have been easier. But even $25k total makes it a little easier to justify picking NYU, so I am happy.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else is in a similar situation and wondering if it was worth trying to leverage offers.

Return to “Financial Aid”