scholarship possibilities?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
afolkner

scholarship possibilities?

Postby afolkner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:08 am

I feel like I am going to choose gastate for law school, that being said i would love to get even a partial scholarship (im already instate).

my numbers are not anything special (2.65, 163) however i have received a large scholarship at Charleston, and a decent scholarship from the university of tennessee knoxville.

should i be happy with just getting in, or is there a realistic shot of getting a scholarship if i wrote them a letter. i dont want to be greedy, however it would be great to get any help i could

thanks you in advance for any advice

Panther7

Re: scholarship possibilities?

Postby Panther7 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:11 am

afolkner wrote:I feel like I am going to choose gastate for law school, that being said i would love to get even a partial scholarship (im already instate).

my numbers are not anything special (2.65, 163) however i have received a large scholarship at Charleston, and a decent scholarship from the university of tennessee knoxville.

should i be happy with just getting in, or is there a realistic shot of getting a scholarship if i wrote them a letter. i dont want to be greedy, however it would be great to get any help i could

just so you realize, most scholarship money is held for those above both medians or URMs who are above one median. Or just URM's in some cases. You'll likely be in a rough spot with your 2.65 when it comes to scholarships. A good LSAT only goes so far.

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:23 am

Panther7 wrote:just so you realize, most scholarship money is held for those above both medians or URMs who are above one median. Or just URM's in some cases. You'll likely be in a rough spot with your 2.65 when it comes to scholarships. A good LSAT only goes so far.

I receieved scholarships at several schools where my GPA is below the 25th percentile. I think when you're LSAT is above 75th, you have a shot.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:17 pm

afolkner wrote:I feel like I am going to choose gastate for law school, that being said i would love to get even a partial scholarship (im already instate).

It doesn't hurt to try! Mention your other awards, that you really want to attend the school, but you're worried about financing your education and ask if there's a way you can be considered for a scholarship. You should make it clear that the scholarship would sway you to attend the school, too.

UGA2010

Postby UGA2010 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:14 pm

I'm in a similar situation. How would a letter like that be formatted to and who would you send it to, the admissions office?

ck3

Postby ck3 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Keep in mind that it only costs about $11,000 per year for GA State if you are an instate student so even with no money, your other offers would have to cover a large percentage of the tuition in order to be in a comparable financial situation.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:18 pm

UGA2010 wrote:I'm in a similar situation. How would a letter like that be formatted to and who would you send it to, the admissions office?

The admissions office. And you might want to try email, just since there's so many deadlines coming up and it's faster.

Return to “Financial Aid”