Loans covering your meal ticket

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
erniesto

Loans covering your meal ticket

Postby erniesto » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:28 am

What are your thoughts on factoring in food costs in your overall financial aid package?

Does anyone else think its a bit ridiculous to be complacent with accruing interest (at rates larger than a decent car loan) on such a necessity?

Is it a catch 22 to have grades suffer while you work up the scratch to eat well on a daily basis?

TheBigMediocre

Re: Loans covering your meal ticket

Postby TheBigMediocre » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:34 am

Unless you plan on planting a garden in your backyard and eating only from that or have money in your bank account set aside for food, wouldn't budgeting for food in your loan package be a necessity?

Do you mean budgeting in extra money for eating out or pricier items?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:35 am

erniesto wrote:What are your thoughts on factoring in food costs in your overall financial aid package?

Does anyone else think its a bit ridiculous to be complacent with accruing interest (at rates larger than a decent car loan) on such a necessity?

Is it a catch 22 to have grades suffer while you work up the scratch to eat well on a daily basis?

I don't really eat well and have done fine so far. My school has a great dining hall with tons of good food. Problem is its expensive...about $6.00 for a sandwich and chips. It's fine every once in a while but 90% of the time I just bring a snack and eat lunch when I get home at around 2 pm usually.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:43 am

No. I mean are you really ok with taking out a loan (with mediocre interest rates) to buy food?

Assuming you don't have parental funding, inheritance, are good at sponging or a savings account the only other option is to work two days a week, which might mean your grades decline.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:48 am

erniesto wrote:No. I mean are you really ok with taking out a loan (with mediocre interest rates) to buy food?

Assuming you don't have parental funding, inheritance, are good at sponging or a savings account the only other option is to work two days a week, which might mean your grades decline.

sure take out the money. if you really want to save you can eat on around $5 per day. try to follow the diet of a 3rd world person...cereal/oatmeal for breakfast, rice and beans for lunch & dinner. cheap meat is not good for you anyway.

Return to “Financial Aid”