Law Grant Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
chicagolaw2013

Silver

Law Grant

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:54 pm

I got both of my aid offers from the two schools I have left (Loyola and DePaul) this week. To give you a back story for the question I'll ask:

-DePaul gave me 15k/year scholly, Loyola gave me 5k/year (in the acceptance letters)
-Regardless of the scholarship amounts, I really feel more comfortable at DePaul, and think it's the right place for me

When I looked at the aid packages, I noticed a 5k "need based law grant" from Loyola. It's not a scholarship, just a grant. This 5k/year is not included in the DePaul package.

I have a very strong feeling that I will NOT be able to get GradPlus loans (credit is pretty lackluster, but that's another story). With the 15k/year from DePaul and the max Stafford loans that I can borrow, I will be about 5k short on tuition and books being paid for (not taking into account rent or bills, my live-in boyfriend and I have worked out all of that).

Based on all of that, should I ask for a law grant in the amount of 5k/year from DePaul, since Loyola offered one? I mean, DePaul is giving me more out of the gate, but that small gap in complete coverage for tuition and books could pose a problem if GradPlus doesn't go through. If so, how do I do so/who should I speak with? Just whoever in the financial aid office? Or is there someone with a specific title that I should look for?
Thanks guys.

evilxs

Bronze

Re: Law Grant

Post by evilxs » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:26 pm

You might be surprised on the gradplus thing. If you can get a cosigner, you can get past some pretty serious stuff like loan defaults, foreclosures, Bankruptcy, etc. Maybe that changes your strategy, but otherwise it never hurts to be honest with them and say hey I am going to need a little more help to make this possible. The worst they can say is no. I would build a good relationship with your admissions person and find out who they feel like you should speak with. Be honest and say I would love to go to your institution, but I am barely not going to be able to swing it, is there anything you can do?

I just went through this and was successful at getting more $$$$.

Return to “Financial Aid”