Arizona-ites....HELP!

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Burgstaller04

Arizona-ites....HELP!

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:56 pm

I've lived in Texas my whole life. I'm looking into applying at U of A or ASU. Does anyone know the stipulations to become a resident of AZ so that I could discount my tuition rate seriously after my first year? One thing that may help is that at the time school starts I will be married to an AZ resident that I met during undergrad in TX. If she is still considered a resident, would that make residency easier for me?

Gunz353

Re: Arizona-ites....HELP!

Postby Gunz353 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:31 pm

They make it extremely difficult to get residency...the best way is to move there at least a year or more before you apply and get all the documents ready i.e. license, voter reg, a job, state tax return, etc. these things take a year or more obviously.

cLams

Postby cLams » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Arizona makes it difficult to achieve residency status, but I'm fairly certain your fiance will be a HUGE help. You may be able to claim long-term interest in the state with her in-state status. I'd give the financial aid office a call. Good luck!

cLams

Postby cLams » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:52 pm

cLams wrote:Arizona makes it difficult to achieve residency status, but I'm fairly certain your fiance will be a HUGE help. You may be able to claim long-term interest in the state with her in-state status. I'd give the financial aid office a call. Good luck!

P.S. Will she be working while you're in school or will she also be a student?

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:53 pm

cLams wrote:
cLams wrote:Arizona makes it difficult to achieve residency status, but I'm fairly certain your fiance will be a HUGE help. You may be able to claim long-term interest in the state with her in-state status. I'd give the financial aid office a call. Good luck!

She would be working full time. Also, by that time we'll be married.

cLams

Postby cLams » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:00 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
cLams wrote:

She would be working full time. Also, by that time we'll be married.

That should put you in a really good position for residency. Because she'll have a job, be paying income tax, and likely register to vote, etc., I think you'd qualify. Again, I'd do some research and give one or both of the schools a call, but it's looking good. Maybe I'll see you down at UA in the fall! :D

mepg

Postby mepg » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:48 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:I've lived in Texas my whole life. I'm looking into applying at U of A or ASU. Does anyone know the stipulations to become a resident of AZ so that I could discount my tuition rate seriously after my first year? One thing that may help is that at the time school starts I will be married to an AZ resident that I met during undergrad in TX. If she is still considered a resident, would that make residency easier for me?

If your wife is a resident, you should have residency entering school.

LLMguy

Postby LLMguy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:43 pm

According to a law school admissions counselor I've been chatting with over the past few weeks at the U of A, they are supposedly making it easier to qualify for residency. You just have to show a commitment to stay there--there's no requirement that you can never leave. That's the gist of what the counselor told me, so check with them to see. Maybe it's just a UA thing, I don't know.

On a side note, a couple years ago I received residency in Minnesota after a year and the admissions people there were telling me it was extremely hard to do. I had clerked for a law firm over the summer and stayed with them through the fall. I was active on campus too, but the clerking was the only real "connection" I had to MN for purposes of my residency application.

Return to “Financial Aid”