Negotiation based on superior school acceptance?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
fwaam

Negotiation based on superior school acceptance?

Postby fwaam » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:57 pm

I've read some of the previous topics on scholarship negotiation, but unfortunately, my scholly offers so far are basically in line with the schools' rankings (i.e. I got a full ride at a school ranked in the 80s, almost full tuition at a school in the 30s, etc.). My biggest bargaining chip (I think) is that I got into Harvard--but I'd rather go to a lower-ranked school and pay less, since I'm not eyeing biglaw anyway.

What are my chances of negotiating a scholarship from other T14 schools (Duke and UVA in particular) or of getting a full ride from a school like William & Mary (they've offered me some money, but not as much as I'd like)? I'd prefer to stay in the South for a variety of personal reasons, but feel like I can't turn down Harvard without getting an excellent deal from someone else.

Thank you in advance for any help!

rapstar

Re: Negotiation based on superior school acceptance?

Postby rapstar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:05 am

what are your numbers?

have you gotten any scholarship offers from t14s?

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:08 am

This is strange to me. Though I don't know your situation and also love the south very much, I do not know how you can pass up Harvard. Seriously? Harvard.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:12 am

I would pass on Harvard. I'm not utterly convinced that I'll enjoy courtroom work, not interested in Biglaw a whole lot, and more debt averse than anything.

This comes from someone with no chance whatsoever of being accepting.

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:25 am

rapstar wrote:what are your numbers?

have you gotten any scholarship offers from t14s?

177/4.0 (although I got that 4.0 at a state school)

And no, at least not yet.

I'm quite debt-averse myself, although that's not my only reason.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:22 am

Based on numbers alone I would say your chances of negotiating a T14 scholarship are excellent. You need to contact the schools by email or even visit them ASAP. Regardless, time is running out and you need to be honest with the schools. Tell them "I really love your school for these reasons.... I've been admitted to Harvard, and while that's a great option, I'd be much happier attending your school with a scholarship. Is there anything that I can do to make a merit scholarship possible?"

I would think 60-90k at Duke or UVA would be very reasonable. They probably just don't think your interested in them.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 pm

rapstar wrote:Based on numbers alone I would say your chances of negotiating a T14 scholarship are excellent. You need to contact the schools by email or even visit them ASAP. Regardless, time is running out and you need to be honest with the schools. Tell them "I really love your school for these reasons.... I've been admitted to Harvard, and while that's a great option, I'd be much happier attending your school with a scholarship. Is there anything that I can do to make a merit scholarship possible?"

I would think 60-90k at Duke or UVA would be very reasonable. They probably just don't think your interested in them.

This + a million. I was in a very similar situation to you a few weeks ago....admitted to Harvard and Duke with $$, but not crazy about BigLaw and looking at Virginia. I LOCI'd and then emailed UVA directly to know I want coming in on an unofficial visit. The next day my file was pulled out of the abyss and I got a Dean's Scholarship. I didn't even have to directly reference my Harvard acceptance. The bottom line is, though, that you have to make an effort with these schools, especially Virginia. Call, email, AND visit if possible.

Return to “Financial Aid”