Too Late? Past March 1st deadline

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
th231

Too Late? Past March 1st deadline

Postby th231 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Hello,

I just decided want to go to law school and am planning take June 2010 LSAT and still be considered for a spot to start in the fall of 2010 (I know my chances are low this late in admissions cycle but couple schools i talked to still letting me submit the June LSAT).

My question is: From what I have read on this forum, I am under the impression that March 1st was the deadline to receive any type of financial aid, so does this mean it is impossible for me to get any type of student loans/aid in the event that I do get in for a start date this fall?

Kiersten1985

Re: Too Late? Past March 1st deadline

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:40 pm

I can't think of any schools who's application deadlines haven't passed and there's no way a schools going to take the June 2010 LSAT for admission this fall.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you'll be starting in Fall 2011. The good news is, this gives you the necessary (i.e. waaay more) time to get a really great application, personal statement, LSAT score, etc. together. You also need recommendations. I would ask for those asap and then study your ass off for the LSAT. Plan on applying in September.

EDIT for RC Fail: So apparently you've talked to a few schools that would let you in. Trouble is, they can't let you in until they have your LSAT score so by the time they can actually consider you for financial aid, it's going to be almost July and I doubt they'd have any money left to give you.

I still say you should plan on applying in Sept. You'll have a shot at much better schools and have enough time to apply for admission and financial aid properly.

Bobalou

Postby Bobalou » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

I'll be the first to tell you to wait and apply for 2011. When you get your score back in July, you can start working on your apps and send them in first thing in October. What kind of law school were you thinking of going to? Most of the Tier I and II schools have March first application deadlines. Dont be fooled by schools that solicit you with things like scholarships and admission without even applying...do you really want to obtain a law degree from an institution like that? Applying early in the cycle also opens up more financial aid and scholarships. I may be wrong, but I thought that all of your schools have to be entered into your FAFSA by 2/15. Spend some time reading the rankings on this site and take a good hard look at the reputation of the schools you mentioned.
Relax and study hard for the LSAT and begin applying in October. Dont be hasty with the next 3 years of your life grasshopper. :wink:

th231

Postby th231 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks for your replies, the schools that I talked to will just place me on waitlist for next year if I dont get in so at the most I would simply have to re-write an essay ( no big sweat..lol)

I am an older applicant with several years of work experience so timing is crucial for me in my decision to go to law school so definitely worth a try.

Can someone please answer my original question?

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:12 pm

I don't see why you can't get stafford loans through doing a fafsa. You will need to make up the difference through scholarship aid, which isn't that bad considering that the schools you will be looking at at this point will be ones where your GPA and LSAT blow them away rather than any reaches. I think your best approach is to get an amazing LSAT, call up your local T3, and tell them that if they take you to start right away with a big scholly you'll go there rather than wait a year and apply to the full range of top tier schools. I seem to recall at least one story like that last summer from someone like you, who was more concerned with time and family than prestige.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:43 pm

The only decent school whose deadline has not passed is Brooklyn Law School. Their deadline is in August; they're strange.

No other semi-decent law school will even consider waitlisting you if you apply after the June LSAT, no matter what they're telling you over the phone. Schools do not waive their deadline lightly, certainly not by months. At this point, it is just too late to go to law school in Fall 2010 unless you're going to Brooklyn. You also won't get any financial aid, of course, not even from Brooklyn.

Apply in September for matriculation in 2011. You're older; this gives you more time flexibility, not less. Young applicants, those applying straight out of undergrad, are in a time constriction because they have to choose between an immediate career or law school. You are older and already have a career; one year more will not hurt.

Also, "I just decided to go to law school" is not a good reason for applying at this point. Carefully consider if it's worthwhile. Law school is a lot of money and three years of your life.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:16 pm

drexel's deadline is 8/1 as well. I wonder if schools will be willing to go to the WL in Aug. why don't they accept new apps in Aug. Make them pay a higher app fee.

Add: you can probably get $$$ from drexel, even in Aug. If they want you.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:19 pm

From UG experience, the reason schools want you to file FAFSA is to guarantee they can process your finaid app by the tuition deadline. You can infact file for FAFSA AFTER the year is over (like filing for FAFSA right now for 2009-2010) and still get federal aid, you will just get it in the form of a tuition refund (you would have been required to pay the tuition in full to attedn classes).

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:52 am

Maybe I'll get more responses here....

I have not yet filled out my FAFSA since I can't even begin to calculate my taxes.

Connecticut's deadline has passed.

Does that mean if I go to school in Connecticut, I am ineligible for Stafford / Grad Plus loans?

I do not anticipate getting any need-based financial aid.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:10 am

I believe you have to file FAFSA to qualify for grad plus loans because it is a fed program. You can file your FAFSA using your estimates (and correct/update after you file your taxes). I am in the same boat, I used estimates because I have not been able to file my taxes.

Unless your EFC is going to be 80000, you will most likely still have some unmet needs, you may get some stafford loan (I of course don't know your situation). Just go ahead and file. Like I said they have deadlines to be able to give you offers by a certain timeline but you can always file anytime. But you won't be able to get any aid allocated to you until school certify it, which may be PAST the due day for tuition if you file too late.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:22 am

r6_philly wrote:I believe you have to file FAFSA to qualify for grad plus loans because it is a fed program. You can file your FAFSA using your estimates (and correct/update after you file your taxes). I am in the same boat, I used estimates because I have not been able to file my taxes.

Unless your EFC is going to be 80000, you will most likely still have some unmet needs, you may get some stafford loan (I of course don't know your situation). Just go ahead and file. Like I said they have deadlines to be able to give you offers by a certain timeline but you can always file anytime. But you won't be able to get any aid allocated to you until school certify it, which may be PAST the due day for tuition if you file too late.

I can't even use estimates, they will vary too widely. I should have all my taxes in a couple weeks, and be able to fully certify the FAFSA.

I'm not sure what you mean by EFC...my wife will be working and that's it.

It's my understanding that Stafford / GradPLUS are not school-given loans, they are government or privately funded, so I guess my question is really does the school's deadline have any effect on Stafford / GradPLUS loans?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:30 am

EFC = expected family contribution.

This is how they do it....

Tuition + cost + living allowence (Based on family, kids ...) = $$$ say $70000, thats your budget

you get a EFC calculated from your wife's income based on dependents and stuff. say $15000

your need is $70000 - $15000 = $55000

so you are ok to get up to $55000 worth of fed gov. fin aid, in the form of stafford loans. You can borrow up to $20,500 I think per year, $8500 of which can be subsidized. rest un subsidized.

You will get a grad plus loan to fill the rest of your need.

stafford and grad plus are fed loans, as long as you file before NEXT June you should be ok getting one, but you may not get it credited before tuition is due if you don't file before deadline which means you would have to pay the tuition then get it refunded when the loan comes through. So file asap.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:32 am

r6_philly wrote:EFC = expected family contribution.

This is how they do it....

Tuition + cost + living allowence (Based on family, kids ...) = $$$ say $70000, thats your budget

you get a EFC calculated from your wife's income based on dependents and stuff. say $15000

your need is $70000 - $15000 = $55000

so you are ok to get up to $55000 worth of fed gov. fin aid, in the form of stafford loans. You can borrow up to $20,500 I think per year, $8500 of which can be subsidized. rest un subsidized.

You will get a grad plus loan to fill the rest of your need.

stafford and grad plus are fed loans, as long as you file before NEXT June you should be ok getting one, but you may not get it credited before tuition is due if you don't file before deadline which means you would have to pay the tuition then get it refunded when the loan comes through. So file asap.

So they count my wife's full salary as EFC? Even though she gets taxed on it, and pays on her car with it?

That sucks.

I'll have my FAFSA done well before the June deadline, I know that much.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:40 am

Bobalou wrote: I may be wrong, but I thought that all of your schools have to be entered into your FAFSA by 2/15.

Just wanted to reiterate that, while pretty much everything said about the OP's situation so far is correct, this is misinformation.
FAFSA can be submitted long after the "priority filing deadline". Hence the qualifier "priority".

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:13 am

kalvano wrote:
So they count my wife's full salary as EFC? Even though she gets taxed on it, and pays on her car with it?

That sucks.

I'll have my FAFSA done well before the June deadline, I know that much.

they use your combine income and assets as part of the consideration but I am not too privy on the actual formula, but if she is not a high earner I think you EFC will be low. Good luck!

th231

Postby th231 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:50 am

Oneknight,

So lets say I do get in to a school for this fall start date, if I go to the FAFSA website and fill out an application now do you think I could still possibly get some loans and in a manner that I wouldn't have to come up with the money in advance and then be refunded later?

Thanks.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:25 am

th231 wrote:Oneknight,

So lets say I do get in to a school for this fall start date, if I go to the FAFSA website and fill out an application now do you think I could still possibly get some loans and in a manner that I wouldn't have to come up with the money in advance and then be refunded later?

Thanks.

if your fed loans is not disbursed by the tuition due day you have to beg your school to allow the anticipated aid to count against the tuition. If they won't then you have to come up with your own money to pay.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:drexel's deadline is 8/1 as well. I wonder if schools will be willing to go to the WL in Aug. why don't they accept new apps in Aug. Make them pay a higher app fee.

Ahh, Drexel. Just going to Drexel is a bit of a gamble, though. Having no alumni network would hurt. They probably would still be willing to throw cash around in the summer, though.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:59 am

BenJ wrote:
r6_philly wrote:drexel's deadline is 8/1 as well. I wonder if schools will be willing to go to the WL in Aug. why don't they accept new apps in Aug. Make them pay a higher app fee.

Ahh, Drexel. Just going to Drexel is a bit of a gamble, though. Having no alumni network would hurt. They probably would still be willing to throw cash around in the summer, though.

I think it all depends on how you want to proceed after graduation. When I first started considering law school a while a go, all I really wanted to do is to have my own practice, so all I needed was an ABA approved diploma. I think at that point if Drexel were to offer me free schooling I would have done it, not knowing that I actually could have more and better options. The lay reputation of Drexel is very good around here, if I was to open a solo practice around here with a Drexel degree I would have no problem getting clients and no one would question the quality of my degree.

I would not attend now because of my refined plans. But I would definitely go if I wanted to work solo and they offered me a full ride. My bro in law is looking at schools too, he just wants to work solo locally and drexel or widender would both work for him as long as he gets money from them.

Return to “Financial Aid”