Another negotiation question

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
kp009

Another negotiation question

Postby kp009 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:18 pm

I’ve looked through the negotiation threads but am still in need of advice for my situation...

I’m looking to negotiate a scholarship with school A even though currently it’s my cheapest offer. I have an offer from school B ranked 5 better that makes them only 3k/year more expensive and from school C ranked 15 higher that is only 4k/year more expensive. There are, however, GPA requirements attached to schools B and C but not to A.

Do I have leverage here? Is it enough to say I’d really like to attend school A but it isn’t worth it if I can attend a "better" school for only a few thousand extra per year (and how might I word that more tactfully)? I wouldn’t mind trying to increase $ at school B either, as they are second on my list right now if you have any advice on doing that as well. Thanks!

Edit: those numbers are based on cost of attendance. By tuition only, school A is $200/year cheaper than school C and $400/year cheaper than school B.

Addicted to LSAT

Re: Another negotiation question

Postby Addicted to LSAT » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:23 pm

I wouldn't mention that one school is "better" than another. Just let them know that given all the factors including the scholarship, that they are currently your second choice but you would like them to become your first choice. By helping you out a bit more financially they would be your first and preferred choice. Basically, leave them with the impression that you want their school, that in your mind it is the best option, but that you can't swing the numbers without a bit more help. This works for both A and B.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:25 am

Excellent reply. I simply asked the school I really wanted to if there was any wiggle room at all with the numbers and when the brick wall started to come up I pulled out my offer letters from a few other places and said hey I really think this school is the best one I have been accepted to but please just check if they can help out even just a little bit more? He relaxed and forwarded everything over to the decision makers. I would never have mentioned rankings or that any one school was considered better.

I went in person to expedite matters before seat deposits are due.

kp009

Postby kp009 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks for the replies, I did not mention rankings in my email, only school names, and they asked that I speak with them about it at the upcoming ASW that I mentioned I was attending. This is better news than a simple NO, so I am optimistic Anyone have experience or advice on negotiating in person? Would it be wise to bring hard copies of my offers from other schools?

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:32 pm

I brought them. They may or may not want them. They will definitely let you know.

I kept it casual. Just literally saying Hey I realize that some of the students you have offered scholarships to have by now written to let you know they are not going to attend here. I was hoping that if there was even just a little extra wiggle room that you might be able to help me better afford you as my number one option. I really want to come here. It doesn't hurt to let them know that while others have passed they are still your number one consideration and you really want to be able to better afford to choose them.

When I talked about my other offers I never said better or worse schools I just said hey these are some of my other top choices, but I don't want the fact that I am offered more to go there to be a deciding factor. I really want to go here. They want to help out people who really want to go to their school.

Return to “Financial Aid”