Negotiating with little (practically non-existent) leverage

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
totebags

Negotiating with little (practically non-existent) leverage

Postby totebags » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:19 am

School X is my top choice, but it's expensive as EFF! School Y is a peer school where I've received a smaller scholarship (no outright GPA requirement though), but it's less expensive to attend than School X. School Z is a T2, but only 18 spots behind Schools X and Y. The Cost of Attendance (COA) of School Z is much cheaper, and I got a $12k/yr scholarship offer.

For reference:
School X - $61k/yr COA - $15k scholarship (renewable with 3.0 gpa)
School Y - $51k/yr COA - $12k scholarship (renewable if I maintain good academic standing)
School Z - $45k/yr COA - $12k scholarship (renewable with 2.95 gpa)

Any way to spin this in my favor in a letter to School X? Even with the scholarship, school X would be ~$138k over three years; School Y would be $117k; School Z would be $99k.

totebags

Re: Negotiating with little (practically non-existent) leverage

Postby totebags » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:07 pm

OK. I prepared a draft of an email to send to School X and would appreciate it if somebody could review it.

tyjole

Postby tyjole » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:13 pm

let's see it

totebags

Postby totebags » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:47 pm

Actually... you know what, I think my numbers may be off. My weak negotiation strategy may be even weaker than I thought. :-( When I get home, I'll double-check the information I have.

Return to “Financial Aid”