Negotiating with no leverage

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:51 am

Negotiating with no leverage

Postby wakahaka » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:38 am

I have a 3/4 tuition scholarship to my in-state school: Top-40, in my home city, and it's where I wanted to go anyway, so no complaints in that regard. I didn't apply to as many schools as I possibly could have (?), so I only ended up with a full scholarship from a Tier 3 school and a 2/3 from a Top 100 outside my home state. My LSAT is above the 75th percentile at my in-state school, and my GPA is at their median, but I have no acceptances to any schools more highly ranked than my in-state school, and no scholarship offers that are better.

Although I'm pretty pleased with my offer, I do want to see if they'll bump it up at all, but I don't want to sound stupid by asking outright for more money when they have already obviously given me the best offer. Thoughts?

User avatar
Waggly Toast
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Negotiating with no leverage

Postby Waggly Toast » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:24 am

I would just be grateful for the 3/4 scholarship.

User avatar
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Negotiating with no leverage

Postby KimmyGibbler » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:27 pm

I'm in almost the exact same boat, except I had offers from higher ranked schools with no scholarship. I was going to try and use a TTT with full-ride scholly as leverage, but then I began to feel like a greedy douche and decided against it.

Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: Negotiating with no leverage

Postby isaiah6v8 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:30 pm

If you really think it is their best offer, than I would let it be, but you shouldn't be afraid to ask. The worst they can do is say they have no addtional funds. At 3/4 they obviously would like for you to matriculate, so speak to the recruiter about them speaking to the SC, they may have given you the best they can do already, in which case, no biggie, but if they offer you more, bully for you!

User avatar
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Negotiating with no leverage

Postby ozarkhack » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Look at it this way: Your leverage is your willingness to matriculate. They've offered you some $ b/c they want your ass in that class.

But if you just assume they've given you their best offer, then you're potentially shorting yourself some more $$. Even if they offer just a tiny bit more, you done good.

Tell them that you appreciate their offer and that you're excited and etc. But now is decision time. And as you consider several enticing offers, including at least one full scholarship, from schools across the country, an increased aid package could make your decision easier.

They will or they won't. But they're certainly not going to hold it against you if you try.

User avatar
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am

Re: Negotiating with no leverage

Postby Notor » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:00 am

Just ask nicely. Send an email asking for additional consideration after the seat deposit deadline, and start to build a relationship with the admissions deans.

Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ribbon and 2 guests