How to negotiate for more money w/o better offer?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Xiaolong

How to negotiate for more money w/o better offer?

Postby Xiaolong » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:47 am

Here's my situation: I have a ~25K sholarship offer from WUSTL. I also got into BC and BU but have not heard about money from both schools. For the sake of argument, let's just assume they won't offer more than WUSTL.

I also want to practice on the East Coast, preferably in Boston. Naturally, attending one of BC or BU over WUSTL would make a lot of sense. However, I am also extremely debt averse so, essentially, if WUSTL were to give me 30K or more a year I would be seriously tempted to attend WUSTL and then just hope for the best.

Now, here's the tricky part. How do I go about asking WUSTL for more money if I don't have a higher offer from another peer school? I also do not have any T14 acceptances (yet) that I could use as leverage. Could I just write them a nice letter, explaining my situation and then hope that they will reconsider their offer?

Any advice?

im_blue

Re: How to negotiate for more money w/o better offer?

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:59 am

What "situation" do you have exactly, other than just wanting as much money as possible (like every other applicant)? Also, T14 acceptances without $ cannot be used as leverage.

taw856

Postby taw856 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:08 am

im_blue wrote:T14 acceptances without $ cannot be used as leverage.

This doesn't seem right to me, but I'm definitely as new at this as any other 0L, so feel free to correct me.

Still, I would think if you convince say a T30 school that you feel you'd be a good fit there and want to attend if possible -- they might be willing to throw some help your direction so that you aren't turning down quite as much of a blatantly better offer in a T14 school.

No?

Xiaolong

Postby Xiaolong » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:13 am

im_blue wrote:What "situation" do you have exactly, other than just wanting as much money as possible (like every other applicant)? Also, T14 acceptances without $ cannot be used as leverage.

I thought my post was more or less clear, but let me give you a shorter version of my situation. I have money at WUSTL. I want more. Can I possibly ask for more, even though I don't have any real leverage such as T14 acceptance or more money at another peer school? Or, alternatively, is this a useless undertaking unless I can show them another good offer?

orphanarium

Postby orphanarium » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:21 am

Last edited by orphanarium on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xiaolong

Postby Xiaolong » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:25 am

orphanarium wrote:
Xiaolong wrote:
im_blue wrote:What "situation" do you have exactly, other than just wanting as much money as possible (like every other applicant)? Also, T14 acceptances without $ cannot be used as leverage.

I thought my post was more or less clear, but let me give you a shorter version of my situation. I have money at WUSTL. I want more. Can I possibly ask for more, even though I don't have any real leverage such as T14 acceptance or more money at another peer school? Or, alternatively, is this a useless undertaking unless I can show them another good offer?

Your post was very clear. My opinion: try and ask them for more money, even if you do not get a comparable offer from BC or BU. Politely explain to them what you explained to us. You are currently unsure about where you want to go because you want to stay in Boston. But if WUSTL sent more money your way, your decision would be a lot easier. As long as you're civil about it, they aren't going to take back your admissions or scholarship offer.

Thank you!

taw856

Postby taw856 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:28 am

This was Answer #1, despite your not wanting to hear it..

im_blue wrote:What "situation" do you have exactly, other than just wanting as much money as possible (like every other applicant)?

But the good news is, your reply...

Xiaolong wrote:Can I possibly ask for more, even though I don't have any real leverage ... ?

...led to Answer #2:

orphanarium wrote:You are currently unsure about where you want to go because you want to stay in Boston. But if WUSTL sent more money your way, your decision would be a lot easier.

i.e. You do have leverage, it's just that it's minimal. Your leverage is that Boston is a slightly preferable location for you -- and you are essentially testing whether WUSTL will match that degree of preference monetarily.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:37 am

Send them a nice letter. It doesn't really hurt to ask.

Xiaolong

Postby Xiaolong » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:43 am

taw856 wrote:This was Answer #1, despite your not wanting to hear it..

im_blue wrote:What "situation" do you have exactly, other than just wanting as much money as possible (like every other applicant)?

But the good news is, your reply...

Xiaolong wrote:Can I possibly ask for more, even though I don't have any real leverage ... ?

...led to Answer #2:

orphanarium wrote:You are currently unsure about where you want to go because you want to stay in Boston. But if WUSTL sent more money your way, your decision would be a lot easier.

i.e. You do have leverage, it's just that it's minimal. Your leverage is that Boston is a slightly preferable location for you -- and you are essentially testing whether WUSTL will match that degree of preference monetarily.

Well put!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:04 am

Xiaolong wrote:

Your post was clear to me. My point is that you have no leverage to ask for more money, as you acknowledged in your post. It doesn't hurt to ask, but WUSTL has no reason to give you more money, since you don't have competing offers from peer schools with more money, so I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Financial Aid”