Scholarship negotiation

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
carboy79

Scholarship negotiation

Postby carboy79 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Is it pointless to try to negotiate a better scholarship if you don't have any leverage from other schools scholarships?

Grizz

Re: Scholarship negotiation

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:17 pm

carboy79 wrote:Is it pointless to try to negotiate a better scholarship if you don't have any leverage from other schools scholarships?

No harm in asking I guess.

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm interested in bargaining with one of my schools. A regional T3 has accepted me with ~ 10K/year and I was offered bigger scholarships at T2s and T1s. I want to get more money out of the T3 in the case I decide to go there (which I'm very much considering). Who exactly do I contact? Do I email the Dean? Do I send a letter to someone?

momentumflux

Postby momentumflux » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:47 pm

I asked Lewis and Clark for more money unsuccessfully, but they were very nice to me. They explained that they had already offered all their scholarship money this year. Usually, some money is freed up by students who decline offers, but that money is seldom available before the deadlines for decisions. I suspect a lot of schools are in this situation. As long as you ask politely and explain that your decision about where to attend law school is very constrained by your budget, I think there's no harm in asking.

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:31 am

Anyone have any success? And again, is there anyone from the school in particular I should be dealing with?

gabewatch

Postby gabewatch » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:25 pm

momentumflux wrote:I asked Lewis and Clark for more money unsuccessfully, but they were very nice to me. They explained that they had already offered all their scholarship money this year. Usually, some money is freed up by students who decline offers, but that money is seldom available before the deadlines for decisions. I suspect a lot of schools are in this situation. As long as you ask politely and explain that your decision about where to attend law school is very constrained by your budget, I think there's no harm in asking.

did you have better offers? or were you just asking for more money? i was hoping to negotiate with them and i have a better offer at W&L, is it worth a try is essentially what i am asking

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:33 pm

carboy79 wrote:Is it pointless to try to negotiate a better scholarship if you don't have any leverage from other schools scholarships?

Pretty much ... I know of a story last year where some told WUSTL they he had a $15K / year scholarship from ND. Turns out, WUSTL called ND to confirm and sadly the student was turned away by both schools.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:26 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

Pretty much ... I know of a story last year where some told WUSTL they he had a $15K / year scholarship from ND. Turns out, WUSTL called ND to confirm and sadly the student was turned away by both schools.

Did the person not actually have money from ND or did ND just not want to be used for leverage?

No, he claimed that he had $ for ND when in fact that he had no $ whatsoever. Apparently, some schools have very predictable formulas and I guess that WUSTL highly questioned him receiving $ from ND.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:29 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

Did the person not actually have money from ND or did ND just not want to be used for leverage?

No, he claimed that he had $ for ND when in fact that he had no $ whatsoever. Apparently, some schools have very predictable formulas and I guess that WUSTL highly questioned him receiving $ from ND.

Ha, what a douche. You are only allowed to lie after you get out law school.

Return to “Financial Aid”