HELP!!! need access question

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ToadGoDead

HELP!!! need access question

Postby ToadGoDead » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:17 am

ok, so they way i understand it... need access is to see if you qualify for need-based GRANTS from 2 of the schools i applied to... one of my parents is pretty wealthy and he/she may contribute some to pay for school help pay back loans... because of my parents wealth, i assume that there is no way im going to get a need based grant... i just want to be able to take out the subsidized and non subsidized loans...

do i need to fill out need access ?

ToadGoDead

Re: HELP!!! need access question

Postby ToadGoDead » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:24 pm

bump... anyone...

Snowdrifter

Postby Snowdrifter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:10 pm

I have the same inquiry.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:14 pm

Ill give it a go since no one else has answered:

My guess would be that if the school specifically says its only for grants - and you dont want/need grants - you dont have to fill it out. That said, as I understand it, it can also affect the amount of school loans you are eligible for as well as subsidized vs. unsub loan amounts. I would fill it out anyway because you can only gain from it and it doesnt take that long.

Better answer: call the schools and get their opinion.

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:15 pm

Snowdrifter wrote:I have the same inquiry.

+1

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:15 pm

If the school you are applying to requires that you fill it out- fill it out. It might not give you anything $$ wise, but I wouldn't risk it.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:16 pm

The Need Access is completely separate from the $20,500 per year in federal loans. All of you have to do is fill out the FAFSA to get that.

Still, I'd fill out the Need Access, too. It can't hurt, and some schools do a blend of merit and need-based aid and you have to fill out the Need Access app to be eligible.

Return to “Financial Aid”