Negotiate scholarship amount AND stipulation?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Gamby
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Negotiate scholarship amount AND stipulation?

Postby Gamby » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:36 pm

Admitted to LLS with 84k and stipulation of top 1/3rd (or top 30%, I don't have the letter with me).

I have read on other threads that it is possible to negotiate for scholarship increases. And to a lesser extent, I have seen some talk about negotiating the scholarship stipulations.

1) Is it possible (or wise) to negotiate both? It seems like a mistake; you provide them leverage to move on one, but not the other.
2) If so, is it better to negotiate them separately, one after the other?
3) If not, which would be recommended in my case? The money or the stipulation?

Also happy to hear answers both for LLS and the country at large.

Thanks!

(And of course, I am committed to performing at the top of my class and to the best of my abilities. However, I hear that gpa/ranking is hard to predict in law school.)

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: Negotiate scholarship amount AND stipulation?

Postby sanpiero » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:43 pm

1.) how is scholly adjusted if you don't meet T1/3 req.?

2.) do you have other offers to leverage in negotiating?

Gamby
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Negotiate scholarship amount AND stipulation?

Postby Gamby » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:37 pm

1) The 84k is to be divided evenly across three years. Paraphrasing, in order to retain this after completion of first year, must be enrolled at least half-time and in class rank of top 30%.
2) One other school in LA area has informally indicated large or full scholarship but have not received in writing. All other schools to which I applied have not decided yet on admission yet (let alone scholly).

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: Negotiate scholarship amount AND stipulation?

Postby sanpiero » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:48 am

What if you're not top 30%? does the scholly go away entirely? can you re-qualify in later years?

i'd wait until you have other offers in writing before formally lobbying for an increase or for amended stipulations. last cycle i had two or three in hand, from comparable schools, before i made any inquiries

if your scholly goes away entirely if you're not top 30%, you may want to negotiate the stipulation over the amount. i think it depends on how badly you want to go to LLS. if you really want to go there i would recommend negotiating the stipulations instead of the amount. if a larger scholly would persuade you to matriculate, concentrate on the amount. i don't have experience negotiating w/LLS specifically, but from what I could gather negotiating with other schools, it's unlikely you are going to get an increased offer in the first place, let alone an increased offer AND relaxed rank requirements. so, i'd say choose one or the other, depending on how interested you are in attending. and remember none of this matters until you have other offers in hand




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests