Question about UVA merit application process

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
democrattotheend

Question about UVA merit application process

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:25 pm

My understanding is that except for the Dean's Scholarships, which sadly my GPA was a point too low for, UVA awards most financial aid in late March/early April. The dean of admissions responded to my question about merit aid and said they would be sending around a form to apply, but the form they sent asks for my financial info and my parents'.

Do I need to fill that all out to be considered for merit aid, or is that just for need-based? I don't anticipate being eligible for need-based aid, so I don't want to trouble my mom to compile all that info if I don't need to.

hannah87

Re: Question about UVA merit application process

Postby hannah87 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:28 pm

hmm wondering about this now, too. anyone?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Some schools require you to apply for need-based aid if you want any aid - even if your scholarship will probably be merit-based... I know Columbia does this. I don't know if UVA is the same way, but it looks like it may be.

Wolverhoo

Postby Wolverhoo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:32 pm

democrattotheend wrote:My understanding is that except for the Dean's Scholarships, which sadly my GPA was a point too low for, UVA awards most financial aid in late March/early April. The dean of admissions responded to my question about merit aid and said they would be sending around a form to apply, but the form they sent asks for my financial info and my parents'.

Do I need to fill that all out to be considered for merit aid, or is that just for need-based? I don't anticipate being eligible for need-based aid, so I don't want to trouble my mom to compile all that info if I don't need to.

Wondering about this too.

How do you know that your GPA is a point too low for a Dean's Scholarship? Is there a cutoff/index?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:41 pm

Wolverhoo wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:My understanding is that except for the Dean's Scholarships, which sadly my GPA was a point too low for, UVA awards most financial aid in late March/early April. The dean of admissions responded to my question about merit aid and said they would be sending around a form to apply, but the form they sent asks for my financial info and my parents'.

Wondering about this too.

How do you know that your GPA is a point too low for a Dean's Scholarship? Is there a cutoff/index?

Just based on the numbers that people who got them had. Someone with the same LSAT score and a GPA 0.03 points higher got one, I think.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:55 pm

I've actually been wondering the same thing, there's no way I'll get a dean's scholarship and i guess i'm wondering if all smaller scholarships are all partly need-based?

Return to “Financial Aid”