Applying to Columbia Financial Aid

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
NYC2013
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:49 pm

Applying to Columbia Financial Aid

Postby NYC2013 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:01 pm

I've done the applications at a couple other schools that seemed much simpler. What all do I need to do for Columbia? At NYU for example I just typed in my financial data to their form and was done...Columbia's website keeps routing me in circle and I can't find any concrete information.

If I'm applying for federal loans (already did the FAFSA) and private loans (already did needaccess.org) and merit grants, what all do I need to turn in to Columbia?

User avatar
Billy Blanks
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Applying to Columbia Financial Aid

Postby Billy Blanks » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:22 am

NYC2013 wrote:I've done the applications at a couple other schools that seemed much simpler. What all do I need to do for Columbia? At NYU for example I just typed in my financial data to their form and was done...Columbia's website keeps routing me in circle and I can't find any concrete information.

If I'm applying for federal loans (already did the FAFSA) and private loans (already did needaccess.org) and merit grants, what all do I need to turn in to Columbia?


I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Columbia is asking for far more information than the other schools (especially in comparison to NYU's easy and simple form).

My checklist for Columbia:
FAFSA
Need Access
Your and your parents 1040s
Financial Aid Questionnaire

The 1040s can be mailed or faxed (emailed even, if I remember another thread correctly); I'll be faxing mine and then sending another copy in the mail. The Questionnaire, which is supposed to be there by Monday, I suppose I will send overnight.

Again, long, confusing, and complicated. I hope this helps.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Applying to Columbia Financial Aid

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:06 am

you only receive the FAQ after being admitted.. is that correct?

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Applying to Columbia Financial Aid

Postby Kiersten1985 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:08 am

pleasetryagain wrote:you only receive the FAQ after being admitted.. is that correct?


So does that mean you can't even apply for finaid until you've been admitted?

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Applying to Columbia Financial Aid

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:11 am

Kiersten1985 wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:you only receive the FAQ after being admitted.. is that correct?


So does that mean you can't even apply for finaid until you've been admitted?


well you can fill out the Fafsa/Need access but according to the website they only mail you the form (snail mail) after youve been admitted then you return it along with 2008 and 2009 tax returns.

All admitted and continuing students applying for any type of financial aid must complete this form, which is available from the Financial Aid Office. The questionnaire is mailed to entering J.D. students shortly after they have been accepted for admission.

Grant applicants should return the completed form by March 1 or immediately after admission. Students who plan on enrolling in the entering class and are applying only for loans should make every effort to submit it by May 15.

Nixer
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Applying to Columbia Financial Aid

Postby Nixer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:17 pm

The 1040s can be mailed or faxed (emailed even, if I remember another thread correctly); I'll be faxing mine and then sending another copy in the mail. The Questionnaire, which is supposed to be there by Monday, I suppose I will send overnight.

Again, long, confusing, and complicated. I hope this helps.[/quote]


Does anyone know if the Questionnaire be faxed/emailed along with 1040s? If not, I should probably get to FedEx now...

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Applying to Columbia Financial Aid

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:55 pm

.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Applying to Columbia Financial Aid

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:06 am

Spoke to the FA office on the phone last Friday. F.A.Q. can be faxed

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: Applying to Columbia Financial Aid

Postby Amelie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:16 am

kittenmittons wrote:Spoke to the FA office on the phone last Friday. F.A.Q. can be faxed


Damn... I overnighted my FAQ plus my parents' 150+ page 1040/attachments.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 1 guest