Negotiate Merit Aid - Before first offer?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ankit

Negotiate Merit Aid - Before first offer?

Postby ankit » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:49 am

I was recently lucky enough to be awarded the Darrow at Michigan, and I also received admits to Columbia and NYU (without any $$ so far). I am currently in the process of completing the financial aid applications for both these schools, which would then be used to consider me for merit/need based aid.

I am pretty sure that I will not qualify for need based aid, and I really need some merit aid from these schools to even consider them over a full ride at Michigan.

My question is - should I wait for them to make their first offers before informing them about the Darrow (and try to negotiate for more $$), or should I let them know about the offer immediately/at the time of submission?

Thanks a ton for your help!

ankit

Re: Negotiate Merit Aid - Before first offer?

Postby ankit » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:06 am

Nightrunner wrote:You are one of the most blessed applicants on this board. Shut up and enjoy your free ride at a phenomenal school.

Ha ha....I won't deny that. I really need some advice on this though, as I want to to be able to effectively weigh all my options before committing.

I know some of you have already gone through this process, or are preparing to, and are likely better informed than me on the intricacies of the same.

buddyblack

Re: Negotiate Merit Aid - Before first offer?

Postby buddyblack » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 am

I don't have experience with this, but am curious to hear what others have to say. My first impression is to use the Darrow as leverage after you get offers from C/N to try to increase them. The timing might not really matter, but I'd worry about getting low-balled by either school if they knew up front they were competing with a full-ride at MVP.

Congratulations on your enviable position!

Return to “Financial Aid”