Is there a deadline to fill out the FAFSA? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Muddy

New

Is there a deadline to fill out the FAFSA?

Post by Muddy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:58 am

Can I wait until I decide which law school I want to attend or do I need to complete the form now? Can I "estimate" my parents' information since I want to pay for law school myself.

Georgiana

Silver

Re: Is there a deadline to fill out the FAFSA?

Post by Georgiana » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:02 pm

Muddy wrote:Can I wait until I decide which law school I want to attend or do I need to complete the form now? Can I "estimate" my parents' information since I want to pay for law school myself.
FAFSA won't ask for your parents' information, you are an independent since you are going to grad school (this does not mean schools won't request your parents' financial information). Most schools have a deadline for FAFSA and you should get it out of the way now instead of waiting. It's pretty easy to fill out since it's only your information, especially if you are still a full time student.

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:32 pm

What are the deadlines to file a FASA form?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:10 am

Emma1 wrote:What are the deadlines to file a FASA form?
Depends on the school, either check their website or call them.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Muddy wrote:Can I wait until I decide which law school I want to attend or do I need to complete the form now? Can I "estimate" my parents' information since I want to pay for law school myself.
I strongly suggest filling out your FAFSA before March 1st. Put all of your top schools on there, even the ones you haven't been admitted to yet. Each state has different priority deadlines, go check it out:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before003a.htm

Connecticut's deadline already passed -- February 15th. But CA and many other states have March 1st priority deadlines. Hope this helps.

Also, when you are going to law school you are considered independent on the FAFSA. You don't have to fill out the parents' portion. Some schools require Need Access, where you WILL have to put your parents' info.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:22 pm

existenz wrote:
I strongly suggest filling out your FAFSA before March 1st. Put all of your top schools on there, even the ones you haven't been admitted to yet. Each state has different priority deadlines, go check it out:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before003a.htm

Connecticut's deadline already passed -- February 15th. But CA and many other states have March 1st priority deadlines. Hope this helps.

Also, when you are going to law school you are considered independent on the FAFSA. You don't have to fill out the parents' portion. Some schools require Need Access, where you WILL have to put your parents' info.
Jeez, just realized I missed a state deadline. Thing is, the school I want to go to in that state said that the (their) deadline was not until later. Does it only affect public universities or something? I find this so confusing and it's stupid I just missed it.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Explain something to me...I have not yet filled out my FAFSA since I can't even begin to calculate my taxes.

Connecticut's deadline has passed.

Does that mean if I go to school in Connecticut, I am ineligible for Stafford / Grad Plus loans?

I do not anticipate getting any need-based financial aid.

flowylime

New

Post by flowylime » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:00 pm

kalvano wrote:Explain something to me...I have not yet filled out my FAFSA since I can't even begin to calculate my taxes.

Connecticut's deadline has passed.

Does that mean if I go to school in Connecticut, I am ineligible for Stafford / Grad Plus loans?

I do not anticipate getting any need-based financial aid.
You'll still be eligible for loans, just maybe not need-based state aid. Don't worry!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”