Do I need to include parents info if...

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ebc0017

Do I need to include parents info if...

Postby ebc0017 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:04 pm

I've just graduated from college, been abroad for a year, and plan to return to the states for law school. while my parents will definitely be helping to pay for grad school to a certain degree, fafsa doesn't require me to submit parental information, so i didn't-- thus making my ETC from them $0. do i need to go back and correct the form to include parental info if i know they will be contributing to a certain degree? (after all, contractually, I am "independent")

any advice is appreciated! thanks!

pleasetryagain

Re: Do I need to include parents info if...

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:06 pm

depends on the school. some require it in FAFSA, some require it in Need Access, others dont require it at all.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:08 pm

ebc0017 wrote:I've just graduated from college, been abroad for a year, and plan to return to the states for law school. while my parents will definitely be helping to pay for grad school to a certain degree, fafsa doesn't require me to submit parental information, so i didn't-- thus making my ETC from them $0. do i need to go back and correct the form to include parental info if i know they will be contributing to a certain degree? (after all, contractually, I am "independent")

any advice is appreciated! thanks!

Most schools require you to submit your parent's information if you are under 30 years old and do not have any dependents of your own. I had to submit my parent's information and my ETC was still $0. FAFSA didn't require it from me either, but my law schools did. So you might want to check with your schools to be sure.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:11 pm

I worked for 5 years, started my own company and still had to submit my parents info while applying for financial aid. My fafsa was independent (no parental info) like yours should be since you're going after a graduate degree, but some schools have their own forms to fill out for aid which would require parental info.

ebc0017

Postby ebc0017 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:18 pm

sounds good-- thanks for the help guys-- looks like i'll have to go back and correct it all.

much appreciated!

Return to “Financial Aid”