EFC=0

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
sconnielaw13

EFC=0

Postby sconnielaw13 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:56 am

Last edited by sconnielaw13 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wreckem

Re: EFC=0

Postby wreckem » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:08 am

Once you graduate undergrad or turn 25, the Dept of Ed/Fafsa only take into account your personal income and not your parents. Some top private schools require you to file a form with them listing your parents income(some up to your 30th b-day), but most law/graduate schools do not take into account parents income.

My EFC is $5100 and I only made $22,000 last year.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:15 am

Unlike undergrad, grants in law are almost entirely merit-based based, which you would need impressive numbers to get.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:08 pm

wreckem wrote:Once you graduate undergrad or turn 25, the Dept of Ed/Fafsa only take into account your personal income and not your parents. Some top private schools require you to file a form with them listing your parents income(some up to your 30th b-day), but most law[strike]/graduate[/strike] schools do[strike]not[/strike] take into account parents income.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:09 pm

im_blue wrote:Unlike undergrad, grants in law are almost entirely merit-based based, which you would need impressive numbers to get.

This is not entirely true, especially for the poorest students. Some law schools are quite generous with need-based aid for the lowest income families (including students and parents).

swc65

Postby swc65 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:12 pm

vlienj24 wrote:After completing my FAFSA my EFC ended up being zero (this was after including all my parents information). With this being said, do I stand a decent chance of being awarded at least some need based aid (grants) at schools like the U of Iowa, UW-Madison, Bloomington, and U of Maryland Baltimore?

To help answer this question I will tell you that the combined income for my parents was less than 58k and for me less than 6k. I also have a sister who is a freshman in college.

Also your EFC was probably 0 because FAFSA only takes into account your info even if you put your parents' info on their once you check the graduate school box. They still allow you to put your parents' info in there for convenience or in case your schools want the info on there.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Don't expect to get need-based aid unless you're super-poor. I also have an EFC of 0 and I'm not expecting jack.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:38 pm

swc65 wrote:
im_blue wrote:Unlike undergrad, grants in law are almost entirely merit-based based, which you would need impressive numbers to get.

This is not entirely true, especially for the poorest students. Some law schools are quite generous with need-based aid for the lowest income families (including students and parents).

Would you care to name some?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:16 am

im_blue wrote:
swc65 wrote:

Harvard and Stanford. But beyond that...

RudeDudewithAttitude

Postby RudeDudewithAttitude » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:22 am

I had an EFC of $4000 and received $0. My EFC was later amended to $0 and I just received more loans.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:01 am

im_blue wrote:
swc65 wrote:

Columbia Law School awards grant assistance primarily on the basis of demonstrated financial need. i have not really looked into other schools, but from conversations with advisors at my UG need aid for very low income families is not as uncommon as the eternally pessimistic TLSers would have you believe. I am NOT saying that every student with low income is getting a free ride or that every law school is generous with need aid. I am just saying it is not true that only Harvard offers need aid. Also there have been posters on here and current students at Columbia that attest to the school's generosity.

With that said, we will see how this works out when I get my aid package :)

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:05 am

oh and here's the link if you do not want to take my word for it. http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... ancial_aid

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:10 am

im_blue wrote:
swc65 wrote:

Penn gives need based grants. I have no idea how common it is or what the cut off is for what your parents make.

Return to “Financial Aid”