What if I DON"T fill out my NEED ACCESS?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
kickincane21

What if I DON"T fill out my NEED ACCESS?

Postby kickincane21 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:12 pm

So I have been accepted to 8 schools total and only 1 of them requires a need access form. You have no idea how difficult it will be to get my parents info since they own their own business (small at home business) so it usually takes their accountant til April to finalize tax info. The only school that requires it is American (whom I've heard is fairly tight with aid anyway) so what would happen if i don't fill it out??

Now for the assumption I do need to fill it out, my question is this. It asks for mother and father. My parents have been divorced since I was like 2-3yrs old, and my father has lived in the UK since I was 13 (I'm 27 now)...can I just use my mother and step-fathers since they are the ones providing for me?

And if I have to use both parents, do I also have to include my step father as well...so 3 parents?

swc65

Re: What if I DON"T fill out my NEED ACCESS?

Postby swc65 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:20 pm

These are very specific questions that you should really direct to your school. All you will get on here is superpessimistic statements about how tight all law schools are (whether true or not). Each school has its own aid philosophy. Some might want just two parents or all three or your natural parents' info. just copy and past your post into an email (except the part about American being tight LoL).

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:48 pm

I have a similar situation (haven't lived in the same country as my parents in 6 years). The Need Access form is really a huge pain, and my parents' financial situation probably won't get me any $ anyway. Am I ineligible for ANY form of grants or scholarships if I neglect this?

theadw

Postby theadw » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:01 pm

kickincane21 wrote:So I have been accepted to 8 schools total and only 1 of them requires a need access form. You have no idea how difficult it will be to get my parents info since they own their own business (small at home business) so it usually takes their accountant til April to finalize tax info. The only school that requires it is American (whom I've heard is fairly tight with aid anyway) so what would happen if i don't fill it out??

Now for the assumption I do need to fill it out, my question is this. It asks for mother and father. My parents have been divorced since I was like 2-3yrs old, and my father has lived in the UK since I was 13 (I'm 27 now)...can I just use my mother and step-fathers since they are the ones providing for me?

And if I have to use both parents, do I also have to include my step father as well...so 3 parents?

You'll likely need to submit their 2008 tax data as a stand-in. If your parents file late, they submit an extension form, which you'll also have to submit when it's available. You'll have to get your father's tax data as well, unless he's exempt owing to his UK residence. I am in an identical situation, and this was what was required of me. That said, confirm all of what I said with your school's financial aid office, as this policy may be limited to the one school to which I've spoken directly. Good luck!

Return to “Financial Aid”