Waitlist = no money?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
taw856

Waitlist = no money?

Postby taw856 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered -- I'm guessing it has, but a quick search didn't turn up anything -- but for most schools does a waitlist imply that scholarship money is unlikely, or will schools attempt to match competing offers if and when a seat frees up and they are able to make an offer?

kittenmittons

Re: Waitlist = no money?

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:12 pm

I was going to troll you, but I respect your tar.

WL probably means no monies: late in the cycle, you're a below-median applicant, etc.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:13 pm

according to LSN there has been many waitlisters who have recieved some merit aid but they prob also applied ed

taw856

Postby taw856 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:16 pm

Thanks!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:58 pm

Waitlist usually means no money unless you were YPed.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:32 pm

im_blue wrote:Waitlist usually means no money unless you were YPed.

Any examples of this anecdotal or otherwise? I got an attractive scholarship offer from Kent but my heart wants to practice in Seattle and it may be contingent on getting money from Seattle U (who looks like they YP'd me).

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:38 pm

From years past ND seems to offer money off the waitlist.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:51 pm

nick637 wrote:according to LSN there has been many waitlisters who have recieved some merit aid but they prob also [strike]applied ed[/strike] were YPed

ftfy

It all depends on your stats compared to the school, and the school's situation. The typical WL is because someone really wasn't considered good enough to get in initially. Usually, the adcomms still feel the person is a strong applicant, but would be in the bottom of the entering class, and those spots have already been given out. If spots become available, and the person gets in, typically there would be little chance for money, because the applicant was only borderline to begin with. The next type is YP (yield protect), where the adcomms think the applicant would likely be accepted to, and attend, higher ranked schools, and WLs to gauge the applicant's interest without potentially wasting an acceptance. If the applicant shows interest, and there's still room, usually an acceptance follows, often with a scholarship. A third type happens when the school feels it has given out too many spots already. This happened to a number of schools last year, like with Michigan and UVA, and resulted in over-enrollment. Even applicants who would have normally been admitted were WL'd, because there simply wasn't any room predicted in the class. Had room opened up, they would have likely been near the top of the WL if they maintained interest. Most schools in that situation, if they hadn't already given out their scholarship budget, would take the excuse to not give out any more. A few, however, likely would, if you had the numbers. The forth I think is closest to you. That's an applicant who otherwise looks strong, but has a red flag. Your's is your GPA. Likely the school can't make up their mind about you, and probably would like the opportunity to learn more about you (through additional materials you submit) if you're admitted, or otherwise figure out that you're not that interested. In your case, the scholarship is totally in the hands of the school. I'd imagine many schools would avoid giving you money as a heavy splitter, because you're in a position of relative weakness. Some of the lower ranked schools might throw you something, though, because of the 170. Like I said, there are schools that are pretty uniform about giving money if you meet their thresholds, and despite your GPA you still might do that.

So hopefully that answers your question. I'm fairly familiar with the WL process, so let me know if you have any others...

Return to “Financial Aid”