Military Veterans: Yellow Ribbon Program

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
amputatedbrain

Military Veterans: Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby amputatedbrain » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:26 pm

For all my fellow veteran's out there, I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the VA Yellow Ribbon Program

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_info/c ... ribbon.htm

Many law schools participate, notably UCLA and Michigan Law, although there are many others as well.

I'm posting this because I didn't know about it until someone else told me, so I don't think knowledge of this program is very high

For those Vets who didn't know about this, hope it helps . . . I copied the description of the program in below.

Semper Fi

"The Post-9/11 GI Bill pays up to the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition and fees. You may have tuition and fees that exceed that amount if you are attending a private institution, graduate school or attending in an out-of-state status. If you are enrolled at a Yellow Ribbon participating institution and the tuition and fees exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition or fees, additional funds may be available for your education program without an additional charge to your entitlement
Institutions that voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Agreement with VA choose the amount of tuition and fees that will be contributed. VA will match that amount and issue payment directly to the institution."

JTX

Re: Military Veterans: Yellow Ribbon Program

Postby JTX » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:13 am

THnX

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:39 am

Yeah, it is great. You really need to check with each individual school to see how much they participate. I recently posted about two schools here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93618&start=925 and here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93616&start=525

Minnesota offers $1000/yr and Illinois offers over 13,000/yr. VA matches both. Schools also limit the number of Yellow Ribbon offers each year and it must be (by law) first come first serve. The schools can't use this to lure better applicants.

BuckNuts

Postby BuckNuts » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:40 am

Please also keep in mind that you must be at the 100% eligibilty threshold for post-9/11 G.I. to qualify for any yellow ribbon program funding.

mugwump

Postby mugwump » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:49 am

Go to the website for the most complete information on school participation. Using the example cited above, Illinois does offer $13,000+ per year, but only to undergraduates and it limits the number of participants to 25 students. Also, recommend that you speak to the appropriate office of the school (e.g., Veterans Affairs, Registrar, Fin Aid) you might attend to discuss the long-term viability of the program at the school (it's a year-to-year contract with the VA) and the number of eligible slots available and how they are allocated year-to-year.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:39 am

mugwump wrote:Go to the website for the most complete information on school participation. Using the example cited above, Illinois does offer $13,000+ per year, but only to undergraduates and it limits the number of participants to 25 students. Also, recommend that you speak to the appropriate office of the school (e.g., Veterans Affairs, Registrar, Fin Aid) you might attend to discuss the long-term viability of the program at the school (it's a year-to-year contract with the VA) and the number of eligible slots available and how they are allocated year-to-year.

Damn, how did I miss that?

Return to “Financial Aid”