beginners' FAFSA and need access questions

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
CordeliusX

beginners' FAFSA and need access questions

Postby CordeliusX » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi All,
Id really appreciate some info because I'm freaking out :shock: - cannot find the answers quickly and I'm getting anxious :oops: (just realized last night I need to get moving)

-How long does it take FAFSA to be "complete" and reach your designated schools?
-Do you designate every school you've applied to on FAFSA, even if you haven't heard aye/nay from them?
-I've been working for a few years, so do I need to get my parents to put their info. down?

Also, basically same questions apply to Need Access (haven't even looked yet - trying to today). I'm flipping out because I've only recently got my tax info., have to file ASAP, and am scared the Financial apps could take long due to bureacracy, and basically make my miss deadlines.

gmichaelbluth

Re: beginners' FAFSA and need access questions

Postby gmichaelbluth » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:39 pm

CordeliusX wrote:Hi All,
Id really appreciate some info because I'm freaking out :shock: - cannot find the answers quickly and I'm getting anxious :oops: (just realized last night I need to get moving)

-How long does it take FAFSA to be "complete" and reach your designated schools?
-Do you designate every school you've applied to on FAFSA, even if you haven't heard aye/nay from them?
-I've been working for a few years, so do I need to get my parents to put their info. down?

Also, basically same questions apply to Need Access (haven't even looked yet - trying to today). I'm flipping out because I've only recently got my tax info., have to file ASAP, and am scared the Financial apps could take long due to bureacracy, and basically make my miss deadlines.

+1 Realized Vandy's priority financial aid deadline is Feb. 15 as opposed to March 1, so that's REALLY going to be a crunch!

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:44 pm

dont forget you also need to nudge your parents to fill out their taxes. that was a pleasant conversation/fight :) "we aren't paying a dime for law school why do they need it " blah blah blah

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:45 pm

NeedAccess was an absolute bitch. When it asked for comments at the end, I wanted to say that I'll hunt down whoever decided to create that ungodly form. Allow enough time for that.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:07 pm

I appreciat any input of course, :) but I'd be very grateful for some direct answers here... or at least pointing me in the right direction

meddlingkid

Postby meddlingkid » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:14 pm

CordeliusX wrote:I appreciat any input of course, :) but I'd be very grateful for some direct answers here... or at least pointing me in the right direction

The FAFSA only takes a week or so if you "sign" it electronically. FAFSA considers you independent if you are applying to grad school regardless of your actual financial situation. Need Access on the other hand is the worst thing ever. You are required to get their financial info even if you (like me) have been independent from them for almost 7 years.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:30 pm

1. 24 hours to one week. I did mine 1-31 and Columbia had it 2-1 (no one is applying right now so they processed quickly).
2. Yes designate every school to which you applied. That way if you get accepted they have the info.
3. Depends on your school, but most request require both parents info whether your 50 or 22.

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:55 am

Sorry would love some help as well :oops:

1. FAFSA actually doesn't need parent info, correct? I used their dependent worksheet and it concluded that I'm Independent.

2. I know law schools require parent info, but this is only for a. NeedAccess and b. individual school forms. Correct?

In conclusion, I'm Independent (and without parental info) for FAFSA even though I'm applying to law school. Right?

Yes I'm freaking out about deadlines too.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:04 am

turkishangora wrote:Sorry would love some help as well :oops:

1. FAFSA actually doesn't need parent info, correct? I used their dependent worksheet and it concluded that I'm Independent.

2. I know law schools require parent info, but this is only for a. NeedAccess and b. individual school forms. Correct?

In conclusion, I'm Independent (and without parental info) for FAFSA even though I'm applying to law school. Right?

all of that is correct. go ahead and do your FAFSA (which requires your own personal tax estimates/form). But you will not get a financial aid offer without the institution/need access one so go bug your parents as well.

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:06 am

englawyer wrote:
turkishangora wrote:Sorry would love some help as well :oops:

all of that is correct. go ahead and do your FAFSA (which requires your own personal tax estimates/form). But you will not get a financial aid offer without the institution/need access one so go bug your parents as well.

Thank you.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:12 am

I did my Fafsa at 6pm on Friday and got my SAR today. You should be fine for Vandy if you fill it out tomorrow. Need Access (according to the site) is available almost immediately to all schools you designate (they give you a nice list of all participating schools so you just go thorugh and select the ones you applied to). It reallly isnt that big of a pain as most of it comes directly from your tax forms. If your parents dont cooperate I can see how it might be a nuisance.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:16 am

pleasetryagain wrote:If your parents dont cooperate I can see how it might be a nuisance.

Yea... what the hell? I am afraid I will have trouble getting them on board.

Also, with both these forms - how much do they fact-check? I have every intention of telling the truth (I dont have any $$ to hide anyway :mrgreen: ) but I'm curious how "accurate" your account-details should be, since stocks, funds, etc. fluctuate.

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:17 am

Also, how do you get it sent to more than 10 schools? I applied to 14, but it's only letting me add 10.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:19 am

DukeHopeful wrote:Also, how do you get it sent to more than 10 schools? I applied to 14, but it's only letting me add 10.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=106096

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:27 am

pleasetryagain wrote:
DukeHopeful wrote:Also, how do you get it sent to more than 10 schools? I applied to 14, but it's only letting me add 10.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=106096

That's the one. :lol: Thanks for making up for my lack of searching abilities!

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:28 am

OK I want to add this here before trying a new thread:

Do you basically apply to FAFSA and Need Access and wait for the schools to get back to you?

Or are you meant to be applying to all those loan programs (stafford etc... no real clue what I'm talking about:oops: ) in the interim?

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:17 pm

It's also incredibly annoying that you have to PAY to submit a Need Access application. WTF

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:24 pm

Can someone confirm: Need Access must be parents' "current" 2009 taxes done now, or can it be an estimate based on 2008 taxes? :shock:

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:25 pm

you DO NOT need your parents info. As a grad school applicant, you are considered INDEPENDENT.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:28 pm

oberlin08 wrote:you DO NOT need your parents info. As a grad school applicant, you are considered INDEPENDENT.

Not for Need Access. Only FAFSA. That's the problem :twisted:

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:33 pm

You don't need parents' info for FAFSA, but you need it for Need Access and the individual forms for each school (if they have these).

For both you and your parents, Need Access asks if you're basing your numbers on completed 2009 tax forms or if you're estimating for 2009.

I've missed the deadline for Vandy. I was bugging my parents forever to get their docs together and they just finished it now. :(

meddlingkid

Postby meddlingkid » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:35 pm

CordeliusX wrote:Can someone confirm: Need Access must be parents' "current" 2009 taxes done now, or can it be an estimate based on 2008 taxes? :shock:

My parents filled it out using their 2008 taxes as a template because they hadn't done their 2009 taxes yet. However, any school that gives you aid based on those numbers will likely ask for a copy of your parents' tax return, so make sure that your parents are as accurate as possible. If there's a huge change between their 2008 and 2009 tax returns, then they shouldn't use their 2008 taxes for this.

And Oberlin08 is incorrect at least when it comes to the Need Access form. Your parents information is REQUIRED for this.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:39 pm

jl2032 wrote:You don't need parents' info for FAFSA, but you need it for Need Access and the individual forms for each school (if they have these).

For both you and your parents, Need Access asks if you're basing your numbers on completed 2009 tax forms or if you're estimating for 2009.

I've missed the deadline for Vandy. I was bugging my parents forever to get their docs together and they just finished it now. :(

In a word or two, how tough and long is Need Access? I am frightened of filling it out :oops: I plan to do FAFSA this week or so. I assume once you complete Need Access, it goes straight to the schools. (ie it doesn't reach them weeks later, hence late)

exdubliner

Postby exdubliner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:29 pm

meddlingkid wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:I appreciat any input of course, :) but I'd be very grateful for some direct answers here... or at least pointing me in the right direction

The FAFSA only takes a week or so if you "sign" it electronically. FAFSA considers you independent if you are applying to grad school regardless of your actual financial situation. Need Access on the other hand is the worst thing ever. You are required to get their financial info even if you (like me) have been independent from them for almost 7 years.

Wait.. I thought we just had to fill out and submit the form before the deadline.

It has to be complete by that date? And it takes 7 days? So all applications not submitted before yesterday will be late for March 1st deadlines?

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:36 pm

exdubliner wrote:It has to be complete by that date? And it takes 7 days? So all applications not submitted before yesterday will be late for March 1st deadlines?

I would think that submitting before the deadline is good enough at some schools.. not good enough at others. That said, it doesn't matter because it doesn't take seven days. Three at most.

Return to “Financial Aid”