$40K+ EFC. Now what? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Dignan

Silver

$40K+ EFC. Now what?

Post by Dignan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:21 pm

I am currently employed and am making a little over $100k per year. Apparently because of this, my EFC is over 40K for the 2010-11 academic year. During my first year of law school, my income will be around 0. I have a little bit of money saved up, but not nearly enough to shell out 40K per year while I attend law school.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but what are my options for financial aid? If I decide to pay sticker at a law school, am I going to have to take out a private bank loan to finance my law school education?

thalassocrat

Bronze

Re: $40K+ EFC. Now what?

Post by thalassocrat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:26 pm

Dignan wrote:I am currently employed and am making a little over $100k per year. Apparently because of this, my EFC is over 40K for the 2010-11 academic year. During my first year of law school, my income will be around 0. I have a little bit of money saved up, but not nearly enough to shell out 40K per year while I attend law school.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but what are my options for financial aid? If I decide to pay sticker at a law school, am I going to have to take out a private bank loan to finance my law school education?
No, even if your EFC were $40 million you'd still be able to take out the full cost of tuition + COL in a combination of Stafford and GradPLUS loans. Just like it's been said in just about every other thread where this question's asked.

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Yeah, you are going to have to get a loan. I suppose the assumption from the aid office side is that you were saving up some of that 100k a year to go to law school instead of feeding that nasty coke habit...

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:30 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
Dignan wrote:I am currently employed and am making a little over $100k per year. Apparently because of this, my EFC is over 40K for the 2010-11 academic year. During my first year of law school, my income will be around 0. I have a little bit of money saved up, but not nearly enough to shell out 40K per year while I attend law school.

No, even if your EFC were $40 million you'd still be able to take out the full cost of tuition + COL in a combination of Stafford and GradPLUS loans. Just like it's been said in just about every other thread where this question's asked.
I apologize for asking an oft-repeated question; I am new to the FA forum and a quick search didn't reveal an answer. Anyway, thank you for answering.

luckyjd

Bronze

Post by luckyjd » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:05 pm

It should change after your first year, since your income would go down to zero right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”