Please help about paying out of state

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Floridagator

Please help about paying out of state

Postby Floridagator » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Hello everyone,

There is a possibility I want to attend Thomas Jefferson school of law in San Diego next year. My question is would I have to pay the full $33,600 out of state price. Currently as an undergrad I am dependent, and my family does not qualify for financial aid and would pay out of pocket for law school. I was wondering if I applied as an independent if I would be eligible to receive grants to lower the full out of state price? I would not be interested in any loans, just grants. Thank you for you opinions.

im_blue

Re: Please help about paying out of state

Postby im_blue » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:26 pm

Yes, as a Florida gator, you would pay the full out-of-state price. Scholarship grants may be offered if your numbers are stronger than the medians, but otherwise you're looking at full loans.

Floridagator

Postby Floridagator » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:31 pm

So even applying as an independent would not help? Are grants mostly based on performance then because I thought they were on financial need?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Sometimes I read these things and ask... porque?

nitr0x99

Postby nitr0x99 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:05 am

Veyron wrote:Sometimes I read these things and ask... porque?

lol :lol:

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:07 am

Floridagator wrote:So even applying as an independent would not help? Are grants mostly based on performance then because I thought they were on financial need?

Nope. If you're fresh out of college and "applying as an independent" then who the heck would be dependent?

Grants are based almost entirely on performance (i.e. LSAT/GPA).

The bottom line is that you're going to have to decide if law school is worth full loans at sticker price + COL. Law school doesn't give grants like undergrad financial aid.

Return to “Financial Aid”