I have no idea how law school loans work!

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
BarbellDreams

I have no idea how law school loans work!

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:46 pm

Ok, so I have some basic questions:

1. I hear that ALL law school loans can be taken out as Grad/Direct PLUS loans? Did I hear that right? Isn't this a federal loan? Are you telling me that the government is willing to let me take out 100% of my tuition + living expenses on these loans just so I can have them forgiven after 10 years of public service (I plan on becoming a public defender)? If this is true then why do people keep complaining about private loans?

2. Depending on whether #1 is correct or not, what are my steps after my scholarship money and my fafsa stuff has been figured out and I need to take out more? Where do I start?

UCInfo

Re: I have no idea how law school loans work!

Postby UCInfo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:46 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Ok, so I have some basic questions:

1. I hear that ALL law school loans can be taken out as Grad/Direct PLUS loans? Did I hear that right? Isn't this a federal loan? Are you telling me that the government is willing to let me take out 100% of my tuition + living expenses on these loans just so I can have them forgiven after 10 years of public service (I plan on becoming a public defender)? If this is true then why do people keep complaining about private loans?

2. Depending on whether #1 is correct or not, what are my steps after my scholarship money and my fafsa stuff has been figured out and I need to take out more? Where do I start?

1. Yes, you can finance your entire education plus expenses on federal loans. You will probably use Stafford loans for the first $20,500 and then GradPLUS for the remainder. I believe GradPLUS requires some semblance of borrower qualifications, but nothing too bad.

Why do people complain? Because they don't know if they can or want to commit to public service for 10 years. If you get out of law school and decide you want some non-PI job, $200,000 in debt is daunting. Say you want to start a family five years after you graduate and your spouse doesn't earn very much. You may face pressure to find a different job. Everyone has varying degrees of career certainty and debt aversion.

2. Talk to the financial aid office at whichever school you attend. Your school handles your federal loans.

Return to “Financial Aid”