Taxes and Fafsa question Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
newyorker88

Silver

Taxes and Fafsa question

Post by newyorker88 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:41 pm

Will putting down on your taxes that someone can claim you as a dependant mess up your independant status on the fafsa? and will it make schools take into consideration your parent's income?

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Re: Taxes and Fafsa question

Post by sirchristaylor » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:46 pm

newyorker88 wrote:Will putting down on your taxes that someone can claim you as a dependant mess up your independant status on the fafsa? and will it make schools take into consideration your parent's income?
Yes. If you can be claimed, then you are not independent.

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Depends, simply being able to qualify as a dependent does not mean you will actually be viewed upon as dependent RE: Fafsa.

How old are you and where do you live?

Your parents can only qualify you as a dependent if each of the following are answered affirmatively.

1) You must be an actual relative.
2) You lived for more than half the year in your parents residence
3) You are under 19, or under age 24 and a be a full-time student for at least five months out of the year, or
any age and totally and permanently disabled.
4) You did not provide more than half of his or her own support during the year.

As per FAFSA, you are considered independent if you are pursuing grad school. Then again, many law schools require parental information for students under 30 so either way parental information is school-specific.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:52 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Depends, simply being able to qualify as a dependent does not mean you will actually be viewed upon as dependent RE: Fafsa.

How old are you and where do you live?

Your parents can only qualify you as a dependent if each of the following are answered affirmatively.

1) You must be an actual relative.
2) You lived for more than half the year in your parents residence
3) You are under 19, or under age 24 and a be a full-time student for at least five months out of the year, or
any age and totally and permanently disabled.
4) You did not provide more than half of his or her own support during the year.

As per FAFSA, you are considered independent if you are pursuing grad school. Then again, many law schools require parental information for students under 30 so either way parental information is school-specific.

I'm 21 and dorm at my college. I stay with my parents on school breaks. My parents pay part of my tuition and said they will be claiming me as a dependant on their taxes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”