not tax deductable!! :( Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
meowmeow

Bronze

not tax deductable!! :(

Post by meowmeow » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:40 am

I was so excited thinking...HURRAY I spent $1,000 dollars taking the LSAT and applying to Law school and its gonna be Tax Deductable ...NOT

I can't believe its not!! :(

adameus

Silver

Re: not tax deductable!! :(

Post by adameus » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:26 pm

mother #@$#er!!!! I blame it on Obama. That guy is taxing us to death....

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Ah, the smell of tax season and the desperation that goes with it.

I spent a good 10 minutes this morning explaining to a coworker why she probably shouldn't claim all her dry cleaning (LOTS) as a work expense. The fact that we have no dress code at work should have been enough.

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:34 pm

adameus wrote:mother #@$#er!!!! I blame it on Obama. That guy is taxing us to death....
"What new taxes are you paying because of Obama," I wonder.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:35 pm

Interest on student loans is apparently.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:40 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:
adameus wrote:mother #@$#er!!!! I blame it on Obama. That guy is taxing us to death....
You obviously haven't been reading anything. Ahh ignorance is bliss, until you end up working!

He's eliminating the tax cuts under Bush, eliminating itemized deductions, and increasing capital gains taxes. For those of us, NOT in undergrad and living in the real world with investments, this limits my profits, especially the capital gains taxes.

He's also considering a VAT oh and a fine forcing me to pay for health insurance.... Nanny state anyone?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:45 pm

I was so excited thinking...HURRAY I spent $1,000 dollars taking the LSAT and applying to Law school and its gonna be Tax Deductable ...NOT

I can't believe its not!!
Sorry, unless you are taking a continuing ed course (required to maintain your license, for example), fees for professional schools have not been deductible for many years. The only professional school that is arguably tax deductible is business school.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:53 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:
You obviously haven't been reading anything. Ahh ignorance is bliss, until you end up working!

He's eliminating the tax cuts under Bush, eliminating itemized deductions, and increasing capital gains taxes. For those of us, NOT in undergrad and living in the real world with investments, this limits my profits, especially the capital gains taxes.

He's also considering a VAT oh and a fine forcing me to pay for health insurance.... Nanny state anyone?
Well I'm actually Canadian, so none of this effects me. I was just joking and echoing general republican propoganda/paranoia

meowmeow

Bronze

Post by meowmeow » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:06 pm

Im taking all my stuff with me when I get my taxes in to see if they can make it work somehow anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bfarring

New

Post by bfarring » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:11 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:

I hear Somalia has pretty low taxes...

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:15 pm

bfarring wrote:
PoliticalJunkie wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:

I hear Somalia has pretty low taxes...
yeah, but they're still killer :)

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:10 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:

some of us live in the real world but don't pay capital gains taxes. we're called poor. anyway thought obama already lowered the cgt by half and wants to temporarily eliminate the capital gains tax?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”