NeedAccess Q's

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ccs224

NeedAccess Q's

Postby ccs224 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Is anyone else filling out the Need Access financial aid application and considering it one of the worst things they've ever seen? I particularly like that most questions have a help code, but no where on the website have I see anything more than a basic FAQ - certainly nothing linking to any of the codes.

Anyway, here's my quick question. They ask us to estimate 10-11 income, taxes and expenses. For the income section, they divide it into Summer and non-Summer periods. Would the non-Summer periods include the current months, or simply those one would consider the 10-11 school year? I'm assuming it's all months minus three summer months, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

Veritas

Re: NeedAccess Q's

Postby Veritas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:59 pm

ccs224 wrote:Is anyone else filling out the Need Access financial aid application and considering it one of the worst things they've ever seen? I particularly like that most questions have a help code, but no where on the website have I see anything more than a basic FAQ - certainly nothing linking to any of the codes.

Anyway, here's my quick question. They ask us to estimate 10-11 income, taxes and expenses. For the income section, they divide it into Summer and non-Summer periods. Would the non-Summer periods include the current months, or simply those one would consider the 10-11 school year? I'm assuming it's all months minus three summer months, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

Just cause I <3 the new tar, I'll share some thoughts.

I included current months in the non-summer section. I think that's what it calls for. If you don't include it, then your estimation of income would incorrect.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:53 am

Veritas wrote:Just cause I <3 the new tar, I'll share some thoughts.

I included current months in the non-summer section. I think that's what it calls for. If you don't include it, then your estimation of income would incorrect.

Are you flirting with me, Veritas?

I am thinking the same, re months, but I'm wondering that, since the summer seems to separate the calendar year into academic and non-academic, wouldn't the current months be considered the 09-10 academic year, not the 10-11 academic year they are looking at? Oh well.

Has anyone else been finding NeedAccess excruciating? Or at least has anyone found how to use their help codes?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:59 am

ccs224 wrote:
Veritas wrote:Just cause I <3 the new tar, I'll share some thoughts.

Are you flirting with me, Veritas?

I am thinking the same, re months, but I'm wondering that, since the summer seems to separate the calendar year into academic and non-academic, wouldn't the current months be considered the 09-10 academic year, not the 10-11 academic year they are looking at? Oh well.

Has anyone else been finding NeedAccess excruciating? Or at least has anyone found how to use their help codes?

Well, that is an extremely attractive photo :wink:

I thought it was tax year and not academic year. Because you are predicting based on your tax return for 2010 (because the previous section is based on your 2009 return). I haven't used the help codes, but I didn't find the form too annoying, but I dealt with financial aid like WHOA in UG.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11 am

Veritas wrote:Well, that is an extremely attractive photo :wink:

I thought it was tax year and not academic year. Because you are predicting based on your tax return for 2010 (because the previous section is based on your 2009 return). I haven't used the help codes, but I didn't find the form too annoying, but I dealt with financial aid like WHOA in UG.

I look good surprised (or scared? I don't remember), so what can I say.

I think you're right and will probably make the necessary changes. My major gripes are about other things, anyway - particularly that I got my Masters through a TFA-ish program that covered 60% of the costs of a school that seems to have no records of prior tuition rates (do I? no.), and now I'm having to go back and calculate all this junk that I would much rather never think of again. C'est la vie.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:22 am

^^^ ahhh, sticky things can definitely bog you down with all this paperwork. GL getting it all figured out.

kumba84

Postby kumba84 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:19 pm

ccs224 wrote:Is anyone else filling out the Need Access financial aid application and considering it one of the worst things they've ever seen? I particularly like that most questions have a help code, but no where on the website have I see anything more than a basic FAQ - certainly nothing linking to any of the codes.

Thanks!

I emailed Need Access with five very specific questions all corresponding to the help codes. They replied, "Thank you for your interest in Need Access. We are committed to serving our students. Please fill out the questions to the best of your ability, or contact each individual school to which you are applying." I'm fuming! It's their form--they should answer the questions!

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:36 pm

kumba84 wrote:

Thanks!

I emailed Need Access with five very specific questions all corresponding to the help codes. They replied, "Thank you for your interest in Need Access. We are committed to serving our students. Please fill out the questions to the best of your ability, or contact each individual school to which you are applying." I'm fuming! It's their form--they should answer the questions!

Not only is it their form, they apparently have an imaginary system of help codes that no one, not even themselves, has access to. No good.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:44 pm

To get the specific help for each question, you need to download the Application Worksheet help thing.

http://www.needaccess.org/download-appl ... 102011.htm

Most of them are NOT helpful, but it's better than nothing.

kumba84

Postby kumba84 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:47 pm

rx3r wrote:To get the specific help for each question, you need to download the Application Worksheet help thing.

http://www.needaccess.org/download-appl ... 102011.htm

Most of them are NOT helpful, but it's better than nothing.

Yeah, I have that one. The problem is, it doesn't answer questions like "My husband is trekking across South America in summer 2010, does that mean we'll be 'maintaining separate households' (he won't actually HAVE a house)?" and "My husband bought a new computer in summer 2009, does that count as a 'summer living or other expense'?"

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Yeah, this form seems poorly explained and difficult.

kumba84

Postby kumba84 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:20 pm

kumba84 wrote:I emailed Need Access with five very specific questions all corresponding to the help codes. They replied, "Thank you for your interest in Need Access. We are committed to serving our students. Please fill out the questions to the best of your ability, or contact each individual school to which you are applying." I'm fuming! It's their form--they should answer the questions!

A tip for everyone who's having trouble with the form: keep emailing NeedAccess with your questions. I emailed them again, telling them that since I was paying for their service and they claim to be available to help customers, I hoped they could give me a more helpful response. They wrote me back the next day with very helpful answers to all my questions. I think the first time, I got a rep who just didn't care.

Return to “Financial Aid”