How to tell schools that I need a scholarship?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
hsprophet

How to tell schools that I need a scholarship?

Postby hsprophet » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:15 pm

Here's my situation. I'm 30, married, with a kid. I have a good job, but I'm changing careers and going to law school in the fall.

I'm unwilling to attend a school without a significant scholarship offer. I worry too much about taking out massive debt while having a family to support. If I was single with no kids, I would be more open to debt after school. But there's too much risk in having huge loan payments and no guarantee of a well-paying job. So it's not that I "need" a scholarship more than just me being leary of huge debt because of my family.

So far I've gotten word from one school (in-state) that leaves me with only $4K a year in tuition. That school is not on the top of my list, but it's an option. With that offer, that easily knocks out any school that I would have to pay sticker.

I got acceptance from another school, and they said if there is anything else I'd like to submit for scholarship consideration to email it to them. They send offers seperately from acceptance, so they haven't made a decision one way or another yet on the money.

Here's my question: Is there any way to tackfully say that I won't attend a school without a good scholarship? I know it's a fine line, and the best option may be to say nothing. I've read a lot of good tips here about negotiating offers after the fact, but I wonder if there is any way to explain my position on the front end.

Other info: I'm above LSAT median and around GPA median (some below, some above) for all the schools I applied to and my softs are good (engineering degree, MBA, work experience, owned a business, etc.).

groundkontrol

Re: How to tell schools that I need a scholarship?

Postby groundkontrol » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:23 am

An answer to this would be great. I'm in a somewhat similar situation. It's not that I wouldn't attend without a scholarship but one would be extremely helpful.

colemf

Re: How to tell schools that I need a scholarship?

Postby colemf » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:35 am

[quote="hsprophet"]Here's my situation. I'm 30, married, with a kid. I have a good job, but I'm changing careers and going to law school in the fall.

I'm unwilling to attend a school without a significant scholarship offer. I worry too much about taking out massive debt while having a family to support. If I was single with no kids, I would be more open to debt after school. But there's too much risk in having huge loan payments and no guarantee of a well-paying job. So it's not that I "need" a scholarship more than just me being leary of huge debt because of my family.

So far I've gotten word from one school (in-state) that leaves me with only $4K a year in tuition. That school is not on the top of my list, but it's an option. With that offer, that easily knocks out any school that I would have to pay sticker.quote]

You need to put this in an email and send it to every where you applied, there is no better reason someone can have for needing scholarship money and i think adcoms will see that and if there is any way they can give you some money they will.

Return to “Financial Aid”