File FASFA before or after taxes

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
jlnoa0915
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm

File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby jlnoa0915 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:48 pm

Should I file now or wait until after I file my taxes. If its before, any advice so that my numbers are not way off?
Last edited by jlnoa0915 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: File before or after taxes

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:51 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:Should I file now or wait until after I file my taxes. If its before, any advice so that my numbers are not way off?


If things are not extremely different from last year, you could use last years as an estimate. Other than that, I would suggest at least waiting for the W2's

User avatar
ozarkhack
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby ozarkhack » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:58 pm

To be as accurate as possible, wait till taxes filed. But you shouldn't have to wait too long, as your employer(s) should have to have your W-2 in pretty soon. Unless you have lots of complicated stuff going on with your personal finances, I guess.

I had my Fafsa waiting to go pending my W-2 and other needed info. Then, filed my taxes this morning and my Fafsa about 30 minutes ago.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby MoS » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:01 pm

If you have your w-2s it really doesn't matter.

geostuck
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby geostuck » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:33 pm

W-2's are required to be sent by Jan 31

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby Doritos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:24 am

Did mine before W2's. Was about 2k off and now that I got most of my W2's I plan on calling FAFSA peoples. You can always adjust what you put down.

CyLaw
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:43 am

Doritos wrote:Did mine before W2's. Was about 2k off and now that I got most of my W2's I plan on calling FAFSA peoples. You can always adjust what you put down.


You don't have to call them. Just login into your SAR and there should be a link to make changes.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby Doritos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:52 am

CyLaw wrote:
Doritos wrote:Did mine before W2's. Was about 2k off and now that I got most of my W2's I plan on calling FAFSA peoples. You can always adjust what you put down.


You don't have to call them. Just login into your SAR and there should be a link to make changes.


This is why you're my favorite. Thanks

CyLaw
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:56 am

Doritos wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
Doritos wrote:Did mine before W2's. Was about 2k off and now that I got most of my W2's I plan on calling FAFSA peoples. You can always adjust what you put down.


You don't have to call them. Just login into your SAR and there should be a link to make changes.


This is why you're my favorite. Thanks


Np. I just had to do it myself about 45 mins ago as I estimated my AGI as 77 dollars too high. So glad to have taxes done.

Taxes: Done.
FAFSA: Done.
NEED Access: Done (just as soon as Cornell approves my Parent information waiver).

User avatar
poprox
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby poprox » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:51 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Doritos wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
Doritos wrote:Did mine before W2's. Was about 2k off and now that I got most of my W2's I plan on calling FAFSA peoples. You can always adjust what you put down.


You don't have to call them. Just login into your SAR and there should be a link to make changes.


This is why you're my favorite. Thanks


Np. I just had to do it myself about 45 mins ago as I estimated my AGI as 77 dollars too high. So glad to have taxes done.

Taxes: Done.
FAFSA: Done.
NEED Access: Done (just as soon as Cornell approves my Parent information waiver).


How'd you get the Parent Information waiver form? I emailed them a couple of days ago asking how to go through the process of requesting independent status, but have not heard back. Just wondering if there's a way I can get the form without having to hound them to send it to me.

User avatar
natalie123
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby natalie123 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:04 pm

i filed my forms now. will be doing my taxes in the next few weeks. that being said, i had my w2s in front of me as i worked on them, and last year's return.

what's this about a cornell parent waiver? it's laughable i have to provide parent information to anyone. (paging duke!) they haven't claimed me on their taxes since 1993.

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby aIvin adams » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:12 pm

:oops:

what is NEED access?

*eidt - or more importantly, how do i find out if the school i want to go to requires me to apply for this? ive never heard of it

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

aIvin adams wrote::oops:

what is NEED access?

*eidt - or more importantly, how do i find out if the school i want to go to requires me to apply for this? ive never heard of it


http://www.needaccess.org/participating-schools.htm

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 839
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby kn6542 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:31 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:Should I file now or wait until after I file my taxes. If its before, any advice so that my numbers are not way off?

You can amend the thing in like, 5 min. It really doesn't matter unless you have no freaking clue what your numbers are.

PoliticalJunkie
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:32 pm

I did before. I'll change it when I get my W2s.

I should say that my income in 2009 was markedly diff from 2008 so I guestimated the best I could.

User avatar
aIvin adams
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Postby aIvin adams » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:45 am

NancyBotwin wrote:
aIvin adams wrote::oops:

what is NEED access?

*eidt - or more importantly, how do i find out if the school i want to go to requires me to apply for this? ive never heard of it


http://www.needaccess.org/participating-schools.htm


thx.

this looks dumm :/




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest