FASFA Question

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
avacado111

FASFA Question

Postby avacado111 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Hey!

Thanks in advance for answering my question. During previous years of undergrad filling out FASFA I ususally filled out everything with my parents tax return because they listed me as a dependant. However, this year, I am filling out my own tax return. So, the financial aid I will get with the FASFA is solely based upon my income (and not my parents). Is this correct? I don't have to include my parents income at all when I am filling out the Fasfa this year?

crm

Re: FASFA Question

Postby crm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:31 pm

avacado111 wrote:Hey!

Thanks in advance for answering my question. During previous years of undergrad filling out FASFA I ususally filled out everything with my parents tax return because they listed me as a dependant. However, this year, I am filling out my own tax return. So, the financial aid I will get with the FASFA is solely based upon my income (and not my parents). Is this correct? I don't have to include my parents income at all when I am filling out the Fasfa this year?

correct. you have the option to do so, but you don't have to as far as I am aware.

carbondioxide

Postby carbondioxide » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:32 pm

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/FOTWWebApp/fotw ... type=WSDEP

Fill out that worksheet. If you're considered independent, your parents don't need to fill out anything.

If you're doing the paper form, if you answer 'yes' to any part of Step 3 (Questions 46-58), you are also considered independent.

slowmo2385

Postby slowmo2385 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:35 pm

I thought so too, but some schools do require your parents information to be considered for aid.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:48 pm

slowmo2385 wrote:I thought so too, but some schools do require your parents information to be considered for aid.

Don't most of them get it from NeedAccess, though? At least it seems as if all the schools I've applied to that require parent info use that.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:24 pm

carbondioxide wrote:http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/FOTWWebApp/fotw1011/WorksheetServlet?locale=en_US&wstype=WSDEP

Fill out that worksheet. If you're considered independent, your parents don't need to fill out anything.

If you're doing the paper form, if you answer 'yes' to any part of Step 3 (Questions 46-58), you are also considered independent.

this has nothing to do with it. you are independent because you are applying to grad school, regardless if you at 20 and living at home or 45 and married.

Return to “Financial Aid”