What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
schnoodle
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:57 am

What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby schnoodle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:33 pm

I thought about adding the word "ordinarily" to this thread title, since so many people believe this year to be very unique.

And no links to LSN, I'm interested only in TLS, anecdotal evidence. To hell with hard data!

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby acdisagod » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:35 pm

IF you're still using the phrase "very unique" you probably don't have the numbers.

JK, im hungry and being an ass.

schnoodle
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:57 am

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby schnoodle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 pm

that's true, i probably don't have the gpa. but i'm curious, and curiousity killed the cat, not the schnoodle.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby scribelaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 pm

If you have above-median numbers, 3.7+, 173+, you might get a little $$.

Columbia doesn't give out as many big chunks like schools farther down. Probably because it doesn't have to.

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:16 pm

Probably a 4.5+ index to have a reasonably good shot at $, and maybe a 4.4 if you're lucky.

If you really want to know, you should dig up some hard data on LSN, but apparently you have a strange aversion to hard data. This perplexes me, but perhaps only because I have a strong aversion to anecdotal data - if you can even call it data.

User avatar
UrbanAchievers
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby UrbanAchievers » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:18 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:Probably a 4.5+ index to have a reasonably good shot at $, and maybe a 4.4 if you're lucky.

If you really want to know, you should dig up some hard data on LSN, but apparently you have a strange aversion to hard data. This perplexes me, but perhaps only because I have a strong aversion to anecdotal data - if you can even call it data.


How do I know what my index is? I've had no luck googling this.

Thanks.

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby LawandOrder » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:29 pm

If I was Columbia I'd give out $0 because I am so freaking awesome and people will gladly throw money at me to attend.

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:03 pm

UrbanAchievers wrote:
MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:Probably a 4.5+ index to have a reasonably good shot at $, and maybe a 4.4 if you're lucky.

If you really want to know, you should dig up some hard data on LSN, but apparently you have a strange aversion to hard data. This perplexes me, but perhaps only because I have a strong aversion to anecdotal data - if you can even call it data.


How do I know what my index is? I've had no luck googling this.

Thanks.
If you're on LSN, your CLS index shows up on your profile (provided you have your GPA and LSAT up on LSN, of course).

If you've applied to CLS, your index should appear on the LSDAS Report (aka: the Academic Report) LSAC sent to CLS. The index appears in the lower left corner of the report, in the box that contains your LSAT score.

Of course you can calculate your index on your own, but I don't have CLS's index formula on hand.

schnoodle
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:57 am

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby schnoodle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:30 pm

i don't completely trust the "data" on LSN. i think it, too, is anecdotal, and i prefer the "intimacy" of an internet message board as opposed to cold scatter plots. do you really think everyone on LSN is being completely honest?

schnoodle
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:57 am

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby schnoodle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:35 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:
UrbanAchievers wrote:
MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:Probably a 4.5+ index to have a reasonably good shot at $, and maybe a 4.4 if you're lucky.

If you really want to know, you should dig up some hard data on LSN, but apparently you have a strange aversion to hard data. This perplexes me, but perhaps only because I have a strong aversion to anecdotal data - if you can even call it data.


How do I know what my index is? I've had no luck googling this.

Thanks.
If you're on LSN, your CLS index shows up on your profile (provided you have your GPA and LSAT up on LSN, of course).

If you've applied to CLS, your index should appear on the LSDAS Report (aka: the Academic Report) LSAC sent to CLS. The index appears in the lower left corner of the report, in the box that contains your LSAT score.

Of course you can calculate your index on your own, but I don't have CLS's index formula on hand.


My "index" on LSP is 4.5+. Is that the same as the index you're referencing here?

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:03 pm

schnoodle wrote:My "index" on LSP is 4.5+. Is that the same as the index you're referencing here?
I'm not sure. I don't know if LSP uses the correct CLS index (or if they even intend to). If you don't use LSN, your best bet is to log onto lsac.org and check the academic report LSAC sent to CLS.

schnoodle wrote:i don't completely trust the "data" on LSN. i think it, too, is anecdotal, and i prefer the "intimacy" of an internet message board as opposed to cold scatter plots. do you really think everyone on LSN is being completely honest?
This is at least reasonably fair, although my preferences differ from yours. I prefer the coldness of hard data - it's the econ major in me. I fully admit that some of the LSN data is probably flawed, but (1) I think it's easy enough to spot and disregard obvious flames and (2) I'd bet that most of the data points are either honest or very close to honest. The biggest benefit I see in LSN is the large sample size. The main gripe I have with purely anecdotal data is the tendency some people have (and I'm not saying you're one of them) to draw sweeping conclusions based on a couple of data points.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:42 am

Actually, I don't see where the index score shows on LSN. Do you mean LSP?

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:33 pm

musicfor18 wrote:Actually, I don't see where the index score shows on LSN. Do you mean LSP?
No, I mean LSN (lawschoolnumbers.com). Go to your profile, and look at the "Index" column - it's between the "$$$$" column and the "Sent" column.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby democrattotheend » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:37 pm

schnoodle wrote:
MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:
UrbanAchievers wrote:
MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:Probably a 4.5+ index to have a reasonably good shot at $, and maybe a 4.4 if you're lucky.

If you really want to know, you should dig up some hard data on LSN, but apparently you have a strange aversion to hard data. This perplexes me, but perhaps only because I have a strong aversion to anecdotal data - if you can even call it data.


How do I know what my index is? I've had no luck googling this.

Thanks.
If you're on LSN, your CLS index shows up on your profile (provided you have your GPA and LSAT up on LSN, of course).

If you've applied to CLS, your index should appear on the LSDAS Report (aka: the Academic Report) LSAC sent to CLS. The index appears in the lower left corner of the report, in the box that contains your LSAT score.

Of course you can calculate your index on your own, but I don't have CLS's index formula on hand.


My "index" on LSP is 4.5+. Is that the same as the index you're referencing here?


I just checked my LSAC report and mine was 4.4. LSP says 4.408, so it seems accurate. Damn, I guess that's a little low for any scholarship money? I don't expect to get any, but even a little bit would help a lot, since I am terrified of taking on so much debt.

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: What #'s Earn $ @ CLS?

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:47 pm

democrattotheend wrote:I just checked my LSAC report and mine was 4.4. LSP says 4.408, so it seems accurate. Damn, I guess that's a little low for any scholarship money? I don't expect to get any, but even a little bit would help a lot, since I am terrified of taking on so much debt.
Nah, you probably still have a reasonable shot. My 4.5 estimate (above) might have been a bit too high... I'd bet 4.4 still gives you a decent shot, and 4.5 might be closer to a lock at $. But your best bet is to check LSN from last year. That'll give you a pretty good idea of what indexes got money (and how much money) at CLS. Good luck!




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest