When to start negotiating merit aid?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
sundevil77

When to start negotiating merit aid?

Postby sundevil77 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:08 am

Ok, so I know that there are some great threads on TLS that deal with the topic of negotiating merit aid. My question, then, is when should you start the negotiation process? Right now would seem far too early considering many acceptances and scholarship offers have yet to be made.

I'm thinking that the best time to start is when other applicants with offers begin to withdraw. Unfortunately, many of those people have indicated that they are going to hang on to their offers until shortly before the decision deadline. At that point it would obviously be too late to negotiate merit aid. So does anyone have an idea when the ideal time would be to ask about a scholarship increase?

On a somewhat similar note, I'm wondering what schools typically do regarding withdrawals from students with scholarship offers. Do they consider that money back in the pot that they can distribute to other applicants? Or do they already take withdrawal projections into consideration when they initially hand out scholarship offers? In other words, do they purposefully give out more money than they can afford, knowing that some people will reject the offer? I appreciate any comments!

twert

Re: When to start negotiating merit aid?

Postby twert » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:10 am

i plan negotiating as soon as i have all the scholarship offers

lz06

Postby lz06 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm interested in this as well.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:54 pm

priority dates= ?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:23 pm

i already started!

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm wondering when to contact Hastings about this because it is still handing out many decisions at this time.

Return to “Financial Aid”