I was offered a full ride to two local schools, one clearly better than the other in every respect, though both considerably less awesome than my first choice (to which I was accepted already but for whose scholarship offer I'm still holding out and daily praying over to Satan).
My question is this: Is there any strategic reason to hold onto the scholarship/acceptance to the lesser school at this point?
Also: Regarding using scholarship offers from one school as leverage toward getting offers at another, what is the maximum ranking disparity that can exist between the two schools before the tactic becomes hilariously ballsy/ineffective?
Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 101
- Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:43 pm
- Posts: 1181
- Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm
imo it's worth holding on to an acceptance until financial aid is set in stone/deposit deadline. What's the benefit of giving one up, so you can be a nice guy? Meh.
- Dead Ringer
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:07 pm
A scholarship at a peer school is generally considered most effective, but big money one one rung down is probably equally effective, and a full scholarship would probably be effective leverage two rungs, even three rungs down. So if your best acceptance is a T6 then a full ride to 3 rungs down Texas/UCLA (do they even give full schollys?) is the lowest that would have a real effect though you will probably only draw quiet laughter from the admissions officer for full scholarships a little lower.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests