FAFSA school limit

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
jockinjay-z

FAFSA school limit

Postby jockinjay-z » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:02 am

Does anyone know how to add more schools to your FAFSA if your applying to more than 10 schools?? Or do you have to send that info to the other schools separately r something? Thanx.

ExcitedBlutterance

Re: FAFSA school limit

Postby ExcitedBlutterance » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:22 am

This will be helpful for me as well... Anyone know?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:23 am

Just add the first 10 schools and submit it. Wait until you get a confirmation E-mail that it's complete, then go login to edit it, put in 10 different schools, and resubmit it.

I had to do that last year. Twice. (I applied to 30 schools in total.) It's painful, but it works.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:52 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Just add the first 10 schools and submit it. Wait until you get a confirmation E-mail that it's complete, then go login to edit it, put in 10 different schools, and resubmit it.

I had to do that last year. Twice. (I applied to 30 schools in total.) It's painful, but it works.

30 schools? Geez, I thought I was applying to a lot!

Havaianas

Postby Havaianas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:32 pm

sweet thanks vanwinkle!

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:20 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Just add the first 10 schools and submit it. Wait until you get a confirmation E-mail that it's complete, then go login to edit it, put in 10 different schools, and resubmit it.

Is there a fee for submitting it to more than 10 schools?

angioletto

Postby angioletto » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:08 pm

dakatz wrote:

Is there a fee for submitting it to more than 10 schools?

No. FAFSA = free

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:06 pm

This is not true, at least not for the 2010-2011 FAFSA.

Straight from FAFSA: "If there are ten schools on your record, any new school codes that you add will replace one or more of the school codes already listed."

There are several different options to add more than 10 schools:

*If you have a paper SAR, you can replace the schools listed on the SAR with other school codes, and mail the SAR back to Federal Student Aid.
*You can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center and have them make the school changes for you. When you call, you must provide your Data Release Number (DRN) from your SAR or your confirmation page to have the changes made. Refer to the Customer Service page for contact information.
*Give the additional schools your Social Security Number, Name, and the DRN from your SAR so that the schools can add their school code to your application and receive an electronic copy of your SAR.
*Go to the FAFSA on the Web home page and select "Add or Delete a School Code" under the FAFSA Follow-Up section. Note: Your PIN is required to use this feature. Add additional school codes and submit the correction record for processing.

--LinkRemoved--

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:12 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:

Straight from FAFSA: "If there are ten schools on your record, any new school codes that you add will replace one or more of the school codes already listed."

*If you have a paper SAR, you can replace the schools listed on the SAR with other school codes, and mail the SAR back to Federal Student Aid.
*You can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center and have them make the school changes for you. When you call, you must provide your Data Release Number (DRN) from your SAR or your confirmation page to have the changes made. Refer to the Customer Service page for contact information.
*Give the additional schools your Social Security Number, Name, and the DRN from your SAR so that the schools can add their school code to your application and receive an electronic copy of your SAR.
*Go to the FAFSA on the Web home page and select "Add or Delete a School Code" under the FAFSA Follow-Up section. Note: Your PIN is required to use this feature. Add additional school codes and submit the correction record for processing.

--LinkRemoved--

I called them yesterday, and they told me to do what vanwinkle suggested and resubmit another FAFSA with new schools.

algren

Postby algren » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:28 pm

ec2xs wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I called them yesterday, and they told me to do what vanwinkle suggested and resubmit another FAFSA with new schools.

Just tried it. Seemed to work for me. Can't think of any reason it wouldn't.

gvaugn12

Postby gvaugn12 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:26 pm

If I have received this confirmation email (aka SAR), does that automatically mean the original 10 schools have received my FAFSA results and I can now edit and add more schools?

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:32 pm

gvaugn12 wrote:

If I have received this confirmation email (aka SAR), does that automatically mean the original 10 schools have received my FAFSA results and I can now edit and add more schools?

Yeah I literally just did this and called them over the past couple days. Choose 10 schools and submit that, once you have received a confirmation from fafsa (usually takes 1-2 days) then you can replace schools with new ones and submit. They told me over the phone the first schools would also be able to see my info since it was submitted already.

algren

Postby algren » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:19 pm

You know, I would think it would be a much bigger burden to have to go through an edited and re-submitted FASFA form than it would be to allow more than ten schools?

Don't listen to me though, I'm crazy. I want to be lawyer after all.

rocker1487

Postby rocker1487 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:49 pm

If on the FAFSA site the status of the application is "processed" can we then submit additional schools or is waiting for the confirmation email an absolute necessity for it to be complete?

rocker1487

Postby rocker1487 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:04 pm

bump

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:20 pm

rocker1487 wrote:If on the FAFSA site the status of the application is "processed" can we then submit additional schools or is waiting for the confirmation email an absolute necessity for it to be complete?

You can try to do a correction at any time, even if the email hasn't arrived. If the processing isn't complete, you'll see a message that will tell you it's too early to make corrections, so don't worry about messing anything up.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:29 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
rocker1487 wrote:If on the FAFSA site the status of the application is "processed" can we then submit additional schools or is waiting for the confirmation email an absolute necessity for it to be complete?

You can try to do a correction at any time, even if the email hasn't arrived. If the processing isn't complete, you'll see a message that will tell you it's too early to make corrections, so don't worry about messing anything up.

Ahh, this ^^^ is the answer I have been looking for! Thanks!!

20+ apps (I know. I'm crazy...)

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:37 am

Bumping this thread.

So, I made the necessary changes to my FAFSA school report, way back before the deadline, to include all 19 schools. I remember being pretty diligent, and getting all 19 schools taken care of.

However, when cardozo made an offer to me last week, their fin. aid guy said they had not received my FAFSA! I ended up withdrawing from their offer anyway, but because Cardozo was not listed on my updated school report, I now wonder whether Cardozo never got the report because I deleted their name before adding others, or because I never added their school name at all.

Now, UC Davis has made me an offer, and I see from my Awards page that the FAFSA was not submitted!! This is royally pissing me off, b/c I can't imagine I was this absentminded. I have made the changes necessary, but now I am worrying my ass off about whether my need-based grants (Davis gives big ones) will be affected by this. It is noiw June, so it's late in the game, and i don't want to feel that I will hurt myself b/c Davis never got my FAFSA until now.

Does anyone know whether this will hurt my ability to get full need-based grants? I don't want to start over and re-apply because a few schools can't give me the grants that they would have given me.
FWIW, I am 37, have like $1200 in the bank, made peanuts last year, and have $10K in student debt.

thanks!

Return to “Financial Aid”